2 vintage engines, what makes please?

911hillclimber

The Bunch engine is easily identifiable. If it really has no markings on it, it's a 1938 Bunch Mighty Midget.

The Cleveland Tom Thumb engine mentioned is the same engine, but it's marked "Cleveland" on the front (on the transfer port).

The one with the four-bolt head is more obscure. It looks English but that doesn't mean much. I've been collecting for nearly 60 years and I don't recall ever seeing an engine like that.

Edited By brokenenglish on 21/03/2020 21:37:43

Thank you both for your replies.

Not a marking on either, though there is a lot of deep surface pitting on the transfer port, but nothing shows.

The '4 bolt head' engine I bought off ebay about 10 years back because it looked interesting, but have no details at all.

The crank case has no mounting lugs, just the 2 thin steel 'foot' brackets. most unusual mounting, and obviously not a marine engine, maybe a tethered car engine?

The wood prop seems small in diameter but certainly has some age and oil impregnation all over it.

I'll add more pics tomorrow.

It is in great condition and I'm sure would run with the ignition sorted.

Might be a good 'isolation' - 'stay at home' project for the next month!

Please keep searching for me, I have little knowledge of these early engines.

To get the 4 bolt head engine going, what will I need and where could I find the parts please?

I know very little about engines of this age but I believe that the prop fitted to the Bunch engine has been cut down from a larger propeller for display purposes. Doubtless someone more knowledgeable will advise on suitable props for your engines.

Edited By David Davis on 22/03/2020 08:01:54

I had a mighty midget given to me when I was kid and reckon the second engine is a Mighty Midget. I distinctly remember it had Mighty Midget engraved on the transfer port . The crank pin was loose and Alan now owner of  Weston UK fixed the crank for me . Never got it o run and cant remember what happened to it . The 4 bolt ?

Edited By Engine Doctor on 22/03/2020 10:54:20

As others have said, the engine with the cropped prop is a Bunch Mighty Midget dating from around 1938 and designed by Dan Bunch in the USA. The other engine is a complete mystery to me, I suspect it is home made possibly from a published design and probably British.

I've been collecting sparkies for a long time and a few of my collection can be seen on my website:

vintagemodelengines.c1.biz

Your Bunch is among those illustrated.