F3K size receiver

Tim Donald

Do Futaba make a small receiver for F3K models with 6+ channels? Smallest I can find is R3004SB but nothing 6 channels. If not and you have to use SBUS it would be both very expensive and I still don't think the extra decoder or hubs etc. would fit. It's to match with a T10J transmitter. I'm feeling like Futaba have sold me a transmitter but then limit its features (such as aileron / flap mixing which needs channel 6) by making sure you have to buy very expensive sbus kit at the receiver end. Please somebody tell me I'm wrong or I'm ditching Futaba for good.

Advert

Hi Tim

Have you seen the Frsky Fasst compatible receivers? Check out T9 hobby sport or Horus RC.

I’m not a Futaba user but I do use Frsky in all my models now including DLG.

Another alternative would be to add a module to your TX if it’s possible and use the GRX6 or similar perhaps?

Shaun

Thanks Sheepish, yes I have seen them and that seems to be the best option (although I don't really like mixing brands but I guess it will work ok). Shame Futaba don't seem to do anything similar. I think I will look to change to a Taranis or Horus transmitter and sell the Futaba stuff.

Thanks.

Tim
I had the same dilemma with the Spektrum gear I had.
In the end I bought a QX7 which I now use for DLG flying and learnt the Frsky way of doing things with that. It’s small size and lighter weight sold it to me for DLG use. I now have an X9E as well and no Spektrum except for some receivers which I can use with a module in the X9E.

Don’t underestimate the learning curve with the Frsky gear especially for programming gliders. There is plenty of information out there but I found I had to work it out for myself using the tutorials in the end rather than using the ready made templates that can be downloaded.
If you are very familiar with Futaba as I was with Spekturn it will be a bit of a culture shock.

Good luck with the choice 😎

That is good to know. In that case I think I will get a FrSky and keep the Futaba until I have worked out how to use the new one ! To be fair, the Futaba is fine for the bigger models but it just feels like they are pushing for everybody to use SBUS or SBUS2 which is simply not necessary for most people (particularly if you buy a fairly budget transmitter like the T10J).

Tim

I've been using the Frsky receivers for ages now. Mainly due to the high cost of Futaba FASST Rxs I haven't had a glitch with them! Even Futaba recognised that their Rxs were too expensive they quickly brought out an alternative (cheaper) protocol. What I can't understand is - if FRSKY can build a FASST Rx at a decent price, why can't Futaba?

The basic programming of OpenTx is quite easy to pick up and can be done on the Tx. However, the PC (or Mac) based Companion 'app' for it makes life so much easier as you can create your models with mixes etc and see the outcome without committing to the air! You can also look and see how Jesper has developed his F3K program and see how powerful OpenTx can be.