Another Maxford Airco DH-2, but with FPV

Matt Halton

Hi guys, here's my latest build, an FPV conversion with a pilot and camera installed into his head with pan and tilt, plus scale mods, and full body pilot inside a fully decked out scale cockpit.

My lockdown project! First photo, how I received it, ready assembled by someone else. img_20200201_142523.jpg

Posted by Chris Freeman 3 on 08/04/2020 08:03:02:

I look forward to the flight reports as I have heard that they do have interesting characteristics.

I don't know why they fly great Chris, but this is my thought.

I fly my mates, and we fly it indoor too ! And could be just a tad smaller than this one

But if you fly this model flat, using copious rudder, the model is very stable

Looking at the rudder, you can see the large surface above AND below the horizontal stabilizer

I think this goes someway to turning flat and keeping the wing flying.

I find small rudders above the horizontal stabilizer tend to twist the level flight

There's when we use opposite aileron.

Matt's DH2 is exceptionally beautifully built

Edited By Denis Watkins on 08/04/2020 08:35:20

I can confirm that the DH2 flies very well. I built my DH2 from Depron. 57 inches span and 2.3 kilos. I don't go much on detail as my interest is in scratch building my own designs of different airframes and comparing the different flight characteristics, so I prefer to be getting on with the next model. You can see my DH2 in my albums and on Youtube if you wish. Good luck with the model Matt. It looks very nice.

p1070268.jpg

Edited By Michael Barclay on 08/04/2020 09:19:08

Thanks guys, glad you like! Good to hear flying characteristics are good, I'm going to set up ailerons with differential, and use the rudder to help around turns. Here's a video ground test and some pics from early on in the build. https://youtu.be/zqdyTcPl6cg

And here's the pilot in action too.

Your DH-2 looks lovely Michael, from your own plans.. Very nice, do you have a YouTube link please? 

https://youtu.be/Hv4jVZgYrMA

Lol yes these projects never end, much to do yet, but lots of time to do it!

Edited By Matt Halton on 09/04/2020 02:42:32