IC throttle setting.

John Wagg

Taranis QX7,

Is there a way of setting the throttle so that the fully open position is held (full stick forward 100%) and then adjust the span without the 100% moving. I can set the span (say 75%) for the throttle range but this brings down the fully open position. I need to "offset" the span/range back up but it would be easier if the 100% position stayed where it was and only adjust the lower (tickover) end.

Normally I faff about doing it mechanically but it is never perfect. Occurs to me that there maybe an option in the Taranis to do this.

So 100% = throttle fully open. Idle with stick fully back and trim in "up" position. Throttle cuts on back trim.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. John.

Advert

You could get what you want using a curve on the throttle channel and adjusting the -100 stick value to give whatever you need on the output. However - you then need to remember to centre your throttle trim before the next engine start! I used to set the throttle range mechanically, then use the trim to fine adjust the tickover and assign a switch for throttle cut using an override on ch3 of eg -110.

With open tx I use a switch to over ride the throttle to fully close/cut engine, the trim is just used for adjusting the ideal position.

First i make the throttle works in correct direction and set throws in servo menu to 80%, then set the mechanical linkage(with stick fully back) to set the carb in roughly idel position, then with the stick full forward set the carb to fully open. when done I go to specialfuctions page and set a override function to close the carb fully via a switch of my choice this over ride can be adjusted by the % needed to close without overriding the servo/linkages with the direction controlled by + or - %. very easy way this and can be done differently too on open tx.

I also set voice prompts of engine on /or off so i no what position the chosen switch is in

Also i sometimes make up a custom throttle curve to get Linear throttle response in accordance to the stick position.

I have just done a quick youtube seach and here is a rought guide on what I am trying to say, it's on a teranis but open is roughly the same on all tX's

Edited By flight1 on 22/04/2020 15:28:22

Edited By flight1 on 22/04/2020 15:33:52

Appreciate the quick replies. Both videos useful but the Taranis is interesting.

As I said above I have always set the throttle mechanically with using the trim to fully shut off. So no problem in remembering to reset the trim back up. But I will have a play with using a switch to cut the throttle and see how I fair. I'm new to the Taranis as I have it just over 12 months now and still learning.

Thanks again. John.

go to outputs screen, set max to 80%, connect your linkage so that carb is near enough fully open with throttle stick fully up, now pull stick back until low throttle is where you want it, adjust min value in outputs screen so that stick is at min when carb is at tick over. Now fine tune min and max values.

Edited By Attilio Rausse on 22/04/2020 17:45:50

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 22/04/2020 18:22:11:

ps - with Opentx there's an option on the model settings screen for 'idle at trim only' which stops the trim affecting the max throttle point. It also shifts the minimum point up for some reason, possibly to allow a full range of trim without exceeding -100?

Tried to find but no luck. Various mention of trims but no obvious 'idle at trim only'.

Maybe my TX version doesn't have this ? Or it's me.blush

More than likely if not available then will go with the "switch" option.

Cheers. John.

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 22/04/2020 18:22:11:

ps - with Opentx there's an option on the model settings screen for 'idle at trim only' which stops the trim affecting the max throttle point. It also shifts the minimum point up for some reason, possibly to allow a full range of trim without exceeding -100?

I have had another go on the Tx and, with the help of the Manual, found "T-Trim" on the set up page. Ticking the box has altered the throttle trim action as you stated. Normally the trims have a "centred" readout but this disappears on the throttle trim when the box is ticked. So there are are only "max" and "min" readouts no "trim is centred" readout.

The trim now alters the fully open throttle by a very small amount but the closed throttle end varies a lot when operating the trim. I need a bit more playing with it and to try it out on the actual model.

Thanks for the help and much appreciated. John.

well looks like you are getting there , it's all straight forward and clicks into place once  you have played around with it a bit. opentx is quite a revolution and very versatile indeed.

now just need to be unlocked so we can go out and fly

Edited By flight1 on 24/04/2020 20:00:07