Firedrake RCM&E July 2003

Paul C.

While I was looking at Peter’s thread on Moon Dancer 2 the conversations drifted to other models that Peter had designed. One of the mentioned models was the Firedrake, a similar style to Moon Dancer but a little larger. Many thanks to Piers Bowlan for digging out a copy of the plan, build instructions and sending copies to me.

This is a model that is well worth revisiting, it’s a bit different from Peter’s recent builds symmetrical wing section and novel wedge fuselage. Not intended as a build blog but just to revisit a model that I am sure others will be interested in.

I have nearly finished the build so I will post a few pictures to give a flavour of how I got on.

Peter originally used a RCV 60 engine and air retracts this resulted in a model of 6 and a quarter pound in weight ish and a bit heavy for the RCV.

With all the bits dry assembled with a fixed undercarriage and an ASP 61 FS in the front mine is exactly 5 pounds, I am more than happy with that. Heaven only knows when I will be able to get a test flight with the current situation.

Advert

Ah Yes! It did weigh a ton. It did fly well but was just too high a wing loading

I had planned to build a Focke Wulf 190 after that but was put off by the unfortunate results of a heavy landing.

As a result I designed the Culver Dart which was a far nicer model.

WOW 17 years ago. time flies

Edited By Peter Miller on 24/04/2020 21:12:17

Can't say that I am a light builder so I think my weight saving was using fixed uc and perhaps the engine, the only things I did different was an inverted engine and using full light ply ribs for the uc bearers. Loads of room in the cowl it's a monster 👍

I know that the asp 61 fs is about 5 oz lighter than the REV 60 but that would leave a lot of weight in the retract system. Not had any experience with pneumatic retracts so have no idea what sort of weight saving there, I did use a medium size servo mounted at the back for elevator but that should not make much difference. Battery pack sits under the pilot as per plan, c of g is not far off. I will check the weight of my little miss HT later just to check that my scales are not on the blink, might even sharpen my pencil and work out the wing loading 😁.

The retarct system had a very light air bottle, two retracts which would have been no heavier than standard ones especially as the valve was operated by a micro servo insgtead of the normal big retract servo.

All up weight was 6lbs 4 ounces. Wing loading 23 ounces per sq ft which is a little heavier than I really like. I prefer under 20 oz per sq. ft..

There was a bit more wood in the fuselage

Rechecked the weight using digital scales these we use for making sure our holiday bags are the correct weight so I know that these are correct. Still bang on 5 pounds so that gives me a wing loading of 19 oz per sq foot if I have done my maths correctly , no idea how mine has turned out lighter. All that's left now is to put some proofer on the film trim to stop it peeling off and any fine adjustments to the c of g, will be interesting to see how a lighter version performes in the air, roll on end of lock down .

Thanks Piers it was a pleasure to build it's a different build from my other builds of Peter's models. I had not been aware of the Firedrake until you mentioned it in Moon Dancer 2 thread, just wondering how many little gems of Peter's that we have missed from earlier years.

I have decided to start a bit of positive thinking so tomorrow I will send off for a few gallon of glow fuel , be prepared as they say 👍😀

They might have changed the listing on OZone, Dancing Girl Mk II is the cl biplane and they list Dancing Girl as the rc model. I have found that the search function on the oz site can give some odd results at times. Can't get your link to work on my tablet will get on my pc later that will work ok.

• 5 weeks later...

Actually managed to get out today and maiden the Firedrake , after a few issues getting the engine running consistently she took to the air. No dramas just a couple of clicks of down elevator and left aileron she was flying straight and level, bags of power with the ASP 61 FS most of the flight on half throttle. Added a little more elevator travel after the second flight just my preference, I am really enjoying this model it's handling is excellent low speed is no problem at all and it looks great in the air. Keep the power down and it could be a first low wing model open her up and she becomes a nice aerobatic. Another great model from Peter , glad I found it 👍

Paul.

Hi Peter , as you say the engine choise has made all the difference I think that a ASP 52 FS would gave enough grunt as well (i have several of those) . It's one of those models that you feel comfortable with as soon as it left the ground on its first flight, need to send for some more fuel now that we have been let loose 👍

• 4 months later...

Hi Andy , no expert on electric set up but would be worth taking a look at 4max models . They have a whole list of set ups for different models, Little Miss Honky Tonk is a similar size / weight model so that set up might work for you. Your best move would be to give them a call and they will recommend a good set up, there is plenty of room for electric setup I know Peter uses 4max so that gas to be a good starting point.

Paul.

• 5 months later...