Getting a pdf plan into 3D software for CNC or 3d printing

Darran

Advert

Hi Darran.

Assuming you are not familiar with CAD software, there is another way to do it.

You will however need some experience with some type of drawing software, such as Photoshop, Coreldraw, or similar.

I take it that it is just the parts you want to convert and not the whole plan ?

Posted by Barrie Lever on 27/04/2020 09:12:13:

Peter

The problem I found with the auto convertors is that are indiscriminate on what they convert, .... even simple lines get made up from multiple lines.

Edited By Barrie Lever on 27/04/2020 09:18:37

Barrie,

Thanks for these notes, I had used SCAN to CAD to convert a machine generated pdf into CAD and those came out very easily, but I have a complex hand drawn plan to convert with all the build notes and wiggly lines to indicate balsa grain etc., hence I will rethink my approach when I come to it.

Wow a lot to take in here.

im not experienced in any cad or drawing package but just wanted to see if I could extract parts from the drawing and print them on a 3d printer as an experiment really.

Not looking to print an entire plane or anything, was thinking of printing just a wing rib or a former. Got to learn somewhere.

Barrie

I am in the fortunate position of being able to try out a 3d printer one of my work colleagues has one and is happy for me to borrow it for a while, nothing special just a hobby starter machine, so yes I will have one at my disposal.

for a living I am a software developer, which people seem to think means I am naturally an expert at any piece of software on a computer, which clearly isn’t the case. However I am able to self teach and pick things up quickly from any media.

I will check out your recommendations on software etc, I am a MAC user though not windows, so that may limit me somewhat. I will also check out the you tube videos etc. I am sure I will get the just of things, just need to start somewhere and see if I can learn enough to get going.

As ever this forum and it’s members are helpful and come up trumps. I won’t hesitate to ask questions on my journey, and I appreciate all the help and pointers so far.

• 7 months later...

Hi Barrie

I've just seen your post. If you are going to get into CNC routing etc. you will need the following skillset

1) Be comfortable using a 2D/3D CAD package (something like TurboCAD)

2) Be comfortable using CAM (Computer Aided Manufacturing) software - this generates the cut path Gcode for your CNC to cut the parts

There is no substitutes for 1) or 2) It is a pre-requisite for using a CNC machine. This is the workflow CAD->Drawing->CAM->Gcode->CNC-Finished Parts

The package I use (Turbocad pro platinum 2019) has a trace facility, but I have never got good results from it. I insert the pdf file as a "layer" into the drawing, scale it to the correct size, then manually trace the lines using the CAD tools of lines and splines. I have had good results from this for the CAD manufacture of ply parts for an RC multi-racer boat from magazine plan.

Hope this helps

Mike