Hi bit of a long shot , i am looking at buying a laser cutter but have very little knowledge in this field. I need it to be able to cut upto 5mm thick balsa wood and 4mm ply wood, i have been looking at the 40w co2 Chinese ones one ebay ( £300) but dont want to buy one that is going to end up been a expensive door stopper. Is there anyone out there that can offer any advice. Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all.

Well three weeks have past since i started my journey into the laser cutting world and with a lot of patient guidance and help from Barrie Lever ( who i must have driven mad with email after email🤣🤣 as i knew nothing about laser cutting.Barrie convinced me to get the k40 and download inkscape and k40 whisperer and that was when the trouble started, this was loke another language to me but Barrie's patients got me through it all and helped me understand what i was doing. Reading all the above posts this is my take on it all. Buy a K40 laser cutter and leave the cheaper ones alone, spend a little more and get something that is up to the job. Please link to youtube of what i have achieved in three weeks and i am over the moon with my K40, Barrie do you need any lesson on laser cutting i can help 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. Thanks to these posts and help from friends i am sorted.https://youtu.be/TwnoygVNNqQ

Barrie

I think some courses would be a great idea as thereis probably loads of people who want to get into laser cutting but just not sure how to go about, i had some one message me on Facebook asking loads of questions after seen my video. Put it this way if you do a course i will def be attending.

Posted by Barrie Lever on 06/05/2020 14:25:15:

Wayne contacted me by PM and asked some questions about the process of going from a JPG to a cut rib? I said send over your ideas are and I will cut you one rib to show that it is really quite simple but has certain steps that need following.

The whole process is completed with free software.

The laser cutter is a K40 40w Co2 machine with air assist, the £300 ebay cutters if fitted with air assist will cut exactly like this.

Material is 1/16" balsa, cut power set to 85% and cut speed is 60mm per second.

Any questions then just ask.

Youtube video of the rib being cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ypWAXALycQ

blackburn_ribs.jpg

rib_imported into_cad.jpg

tracing_detail_on_rib.jpg

rib_ready_to_cut.jpgdsc_1071.jpg

Barrie,

Could you show me that demo another, erm, say fifty times??? And maybe test some fuselage formers for me...

David

Barrie, are you able to make a comparison between home laser cutting and a commercial service?

If it costs £50 (I'm guessing) to get parts laser cut then a number of models (few years modelling) could be done for the upfront capital cost of your own gear.

Barrie, I agree that the 'investment' is not just financial. I already have the means to do 2D CAD so suitable source files should be easy to prepare. If I ever go down the laser route my inclination would be to pay a small business to do the actual cutting.

Thinking about it, probably the same with 3D printing. How much extra clutter could I tolerate at home? None.

Hi Barrie

Your lessons have paid off big time😁😁😁😁test two 3.5 mm balsawood cut on my K40. Power 60 speed 70mm/s one pass cut straight through. Note the magnetic locking system works a treat. See youtube link for video, happy days and really no doubt that i have the laser cutter i need to do the job, keep an eye out for the next test🤣🤣🤣🤣

https://youtu.be/nFrGQcSBgsI