LCD self-repairing?

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this. It relates to a JR XG14 transmitter, but might be same on other makes.

In Feb I dropped the transmitter by accident. It all worked afterwards but there were some small black marks on the LCD screen noticeable when tx was off. Thought about replacing the screen but too expensive. Part alone was over £70.

So I left it. Haven't been flying because of lock-down. Looked yesterday and the screen was back to original condition. No black marks either with power on or off. So a self-healing transmitter?

Wonder what the explanation is. My thought us perhaps there was shock damage to the screen layers from the drop which summer heat has expanded back into place? Anyone had this happen? Or know how and why it might occur?

Advert

Hi David, you are almost certainly correct that leaving it alone and change in temperature has "fixed" it.

Lcd's are made in layers with various masks in the layers, the shock of dropping it probably moved a mask and it has now settled back in position, if you have any old Lcd's that you don't need any more give one a squeeze and you will see the various layers appear...….

Many years ago one of my sons dropped a bunch of car keys on my Satnav screen and it left a multi-coloured blemish right in the middle of of it. Over a long period of time the mark gradually faded and some months later it had completely gone.
I suspect that the shock upsets the alignment of the liquid crystals in some way and they gradually return to their normal orientation.

Thanks DaveyP and Shaunie. It is sort of reassuring when others think along the same lines and a "mystery" ends up with a rational explanation.

Now I just need to be able to get out and use the transmitter for some flying!

Edited By David Ovenden on 09/05/2020 20:16:26