Coyote build wing sheeting question

Hi guys, I took some advice from other forum members here and decided to build the SLEC Coyote glider as my first build for quite some years, we're currently on with building the wing and have a question. it asks for some wing sheeting to initially go on the lower flat surface of the wing, and later the same section obviously has sheeting on the top. The piece of balsa supplied for cutting this from is about 600mm long and 75mm wide with grain running lenghways. I imagined that the sheeting would go on such that the grain would run the same direction as the wing, from left to right, that way its probably stronger and will (more important on the curved top surface) bend to take the shape of the wing, the trouble is, that toward the rear of the wing, the larger part to cover, it's not wide enough to reach the wing spar (unless it's fitted sideways, which doesn't seem right ? and the only way to do it with grain right/left is to cut the piece up and glue one ahead of the next, and then bend the completed piece as a whole when gluing on ? is this right ? that way you have unsupported glued joins in two places on frighteningly thin balsa ?

is it just the done thing for these kit suppliers to send 75mm wide balsa ?

Advert

Sheet balsa can be joined edge to edge very easily. Butt the sheets together and cover the join with masking tape, then 'hinge' one piece back to insert PVA glue etc and press flat on flat surface again. Or use thin cyano and insert into the joint line whilst held together with the masking tape. The balsa is usually joined before fitting onto wing.

Lots of similar tips are all in a fantastic but out of print book by Peter Holland - Model Aeroplane Building Sketch by Sketch. Everything is shown as a sketch as the title implies. The good news is that it's available to download free online here. Still worth trying to get a used copy if you can find one on Amazon etc.

hello Paul, pity you weren't near to me in Northumberland, I have a wing lying around from a coyote...you could have free to help you get going..if you want I can take a photo and send it to you...the photo not the wing! emotion

ken anderson...ne..1..coyote dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 11/06/2020 10:17:19

Hi Paul, just a quick thought.

You can use cyano or pva to join panels, however I would recommend pva. If you use cyano it leaves a hard ridge on the surface which is almost impossible to sand smooth.

I use an Aliphatic pva such as Titebond. This dries hard, rather than rubbery like ordinary pva, so the joint will practically disappear when you sand it.

Hope this helps

Jeff