PNP Repair

Skippers Walker

Hi SW,

Apols but I tend to disagree, Denis.

UHU Por is a contact adhesive mainly used for foam parts and will be totally ineffective with the Volantex PP fuselage.

PP (Polypropylene) is a 'semi-hard' but very strong plastic.similar to the one used for making for example milk bottles or chemical products containers.

Perfect for 'blow moulding' and that's how the Volantex fuselages (Trainstar, Raptor, V2 or FPV Ranger) are made.

PA, Epoxy and other glues will 'stick' to it but will peel right away off when set...

The only way to 'glue' it is to dissolve the surface layer and then to use a plastics cyanoacrylate to bond it.

If you can't find a retail packaging blister combining the two products, contact your local Loctite agent and ask for 707 (polyolefin primer) and some 406 (instant plastics adhesive). Works a threat...

Loctite 770 - 406

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chris

I had a German sailplane kit back in the 80s (can't remember name of the manufacturer - but probably now defunct) - but it came with a lovely blow mounded fuselage, the manufacturer advised you to glue servo tray etc to the silky smooth plastic with Stabilit Express - it worked too. The only proviso being that you needed good ventilation - it smelled vile!!! The pong is due to the methylmethacrilate (liquid) which is mixed with the accompanying powder to make a paste.

Don't confuse it with Ponal Express, which is a quick drying white glue. Bye the bye - does anyone use Ponal Express? My only reservation with a quick drying white glue would be whether it would have time to penetrate the apposing balsa surfaces adequately before it "went off", to provide as strong a joint as with traditional slower drying white glues.

Re: Stabilit Express - This is certainly excellent glue, but expensive and not easy to find nowadays. I came across it as the recommended glue for building the gearboxes on early Schluter helicopters. It was also recommended for fitting the wooden parts into the fibre-glass fuselages.

I've recently been re-building some old Schluters, and for the gearboxes they now recommend UHU Plus Endfest 300. This is a lot cheaper and more readily available than Stabilit Express.

Endfest 300 is an epoxy glue. Another option might be Uhu Plus Acrylit Express. This is more like Stabilit Express, with one part being powder. From the name, it seems to be some sort of acrylic rather than epoxy, but as all the literature is only in German, French and Italian, I can't be sure! I can make out that it is recommended for metal, porcelain, acrylic, glass, polystyrene, and polycarbonate - amongst others that I don't recognise!

One or the other ought to work!

--

Pete

I used that on a plastic Graupner Cherry back in the early 90s - brilliant stuff but very expensive even back then. It was stronger than the fuselage, which went very brittle in the cold (not ideal for a slope soarer used in the UK...!) and cracked into loads of pieces on a relatively innocuous landing. Every bond using Stabilit was intact, the rest of it not so good...

PNP/ABS Repair: I've just received a response from "Deluxe Materials" regarding the adhesive query raised earlier in this Forum. Just for information I offer the following information-

Quote ;

"Chris if its ABS and you need

• Fusion if it needs gap filing
  • SuperCrylic if it does not

Just check with the maker."