Build and fly a Jodel from plans, latest 7 day challenge

This will be the third of my 7 day challenges, this one is to build a 38.5 span Jodel from plans, the original was drawn for free flight on an 0.49 glow engine, mine will be r/c 3 channel electric. The plan is an old one drawn in 1955 and i part built one from it when i was in my early teens for an 0.49 Wasp engine i had, i got it all built and painted except for the wing, i never did get that done...........

I had the parts i had made till three years ago but must have tossed them out when we moved disgust it is like a rat gnawing at me, i have to build and fly it! I will also build one for a small diesel engine rather than a glow, i don`t fly anything other than electric or petrol as i don`t like the mess but i will do the diesel one for a bit of occasional vintage fun at Old Warden on 3 channel. The challenge starts tomorrow morning and i will update progress each evening with pictures, build will be done with aliphatic glue as i can`t use cyano it gives me breathing problems, covering will probably be Solartex as i have some in white but was considering Polyspan, anyone use this before and have any thoughts on it? The two kits i have have been laser cut for me from plans downloaded from Outerzone.

Build started at 11 am so finish time will be 11am next Sunday, James had done a lovely job of laser cutting the parts for me and the bits for the two Jodels came very well packaged and marked. First fuselage frame has been made and thrown up the first question, as can be seen on the plan, there is quite a curvature of the fuselage around the cockpit area, this is also infilled with 1/16 sheeting. Would i be better putting the sheeting in after bending the fuz sides to make curving it easier or sheet now and sort the bend with it in? When curving the side frames i will be putting it in a SLEC fuselage jig to hold it whilst drying, would you suggest steaming the sides with a kettle to help with the bend or will this pop the aliphatic joints? Any opinions appreciated from those with more builds under their belt than me (that would be most of you!).............

img_20200628_105525_resized_20200628_012509023.jpg

img_20200628_132334_resized_20200628_012507263.jpg

img_20200628_132346_resized_20200628_012506355.jpg

Edited By martin collins 1 on 28/06/2020 13:43:34

Not looking forward to today`s main task, cutting all the fuselage cross sticks to the correct size/angle and trying to assemble them all in the fuselage jig and get that curve equal on both fuselage sides. I have put a beer in the fridge to chill in the hopes that i can drink it later feeling satisfied that the whole process went ok!

End of day three update, fuselage built in the jig in the end, pulled it out this morning and all looks straight yes fuselage sides curved without snapping or any scoring/cutting in the end. Happy days, beer was enjoyed in the glow of success! The three sections of wing were assembled and the dihedral set on the outer panels, the tailplane had the tips roughly shaped and added. All the motor/esc wires were soldered and the rx bound, motor test was not entirely successfully as at half throttle there was a bit of roughness and no further increase in prop speed. I was testing it with one of those orange plastic jobbies so i hope it was just prop flex causing it and not a motor fault, i have balanced the APC E 7x5 prop that it will be flying on now and will re test the set up this morning. img_20200701_095008_resized_20200701_095101234.jpg

img_20200701_095028_resized_20200701_095100215.jpg

Challenge completed with 30 min to spare, had to stay up all night to get the covering done, opted for Polyspan in the end, not used it before but seems like good stuff, started off attaching with Balsaloc but there was the drying time for that plus it was making a mess of my heat iron so i switched to a glue stick, that worked much better. Wife took a video of the motor running and the rudder and elevator being operated. Travel time to my flying site is 10 mins so i would have had plenty of time to fly it if it weren't for the wind gusting at 35 mph today.

Will add paint and scale details over the next week at a more relaxed pace!

Multiple edits due to dreadful spelling bought on by lack of sleep!

img_20200702_131804_resized_20200702_011908203.jpg

img_20200705_103200_resized_20200705_105031314.jpg

img_20200705_103207_resized_20200705_105030395.jpg

Edited By martin collins 1 on 05/07/2020 11:02:07

Edited By martin collins 1 on 05/07/2020 11:02:43

Edited By martin collins 1 on 05/07/2020 11:03:07

Edited By martin collins 1 on 05/07/2020 11:04:25

Medium weight as recommended by Mike at Free flight supplies, used a glue stick to put it on, faster and less messy than Balsaloc, the UHU stick glue is coloured so you can see where you it is put on, it turns clear after a few mins. Sealed with thinned non shrinking dope, used my heat iron to stretch it, seems pretty strong stuff, will definitely use again on this size model. Will post pics of the Jodel in the new model section one it is painted with a bit of scale detailing.