Testing

Morning all,

I'm new to this hobby and have a question which I hope someone can answer for me.

I want to power up my model to carry out some tests, but all of my LIPO's are in storage mode, and I don't particularly want to have to charge a battery to carry out the testing.

Are there any ways to do this, either by purchasing something specific, or with a home made adaptor of some sort.

Many thanks.

Advert

Welcome to the forum Pete.

If you intend to test the motor then the model must be securely restrained, but if the test is not the motor then make sure you remove the prop first.

For just testing the controls not the motor it is practical to unplug the ESC and plug a 4.8 volt nicad as used in glow models, gliders etc into the Rx instead. Safer as the motor cannot start unexpectedly.

Edited By kc on 04/07/2020 13:30:25

Pete,

As kc suggests, I use a battery made from 4 rechargeable NiMh cells for bench setup of receiver and servos, prior to installation in the model.

A meaningful test of a plane's readiness for flight needs to be with everything you intend to use installed. (Except the prop if indoors!)

Familiarising yourself with how your LiPo's behave is part of testing. LiPo's are expensive, wear out with use, and subject to damage. Don't think you can somehow keep them pristine.

Edited By Martin_K on 04/07/2020 13:50:09

Edited By Martin_K on 04/07/2020 13:51:17

Posted by Dad_flyer on 04/07/2020 19:19:15:

Storage charge is on the flat part of the discharge curve. There is plenly of capacity there, just not enough for a long flight. You can use the battery for testing, then charge it back to storage.

yes

Thanks for the responses, and I'm grateful for the help.

The comments about accidental starting of the motor are appreciated, but have already been drummed in hard by the lads at the club, (and I know some of their comments come from hard experience smiley). When working on the models, I have a cradle which restrains them, and also a 'cutoff' switch on the TX, and depending on the situation, I also remove the prop.

All of the responses received are useful. In the short term (ie tomorrow) I'll probably use the 'storage' mode LIPO as suggested by Dad_flyer, but to save the hassle of having to recharge it back to storage mode, I'll look at Nicad or NIMH batteries for future use.