Using Carbon Fibre on Models

I left the game for a few years, and have now returned to a myriad of modern innovations, which I'm gradually catching up with. I wonder if I can start a discussion relating to carbon fibre elements, and its use for spars and reinforcing, as opposed to our old balsa, spruce spars, and other areas where it can be used. Obviously, there are the high cost, all carbon, moulded gliders. However, wher do you use carbon fibre? To start- some questions:

Are there any sources that can give relative size comparisons between, say, spruce, etc spars vs carbon fibre?

Where do I shop for carbon spars and other components?

What is an appropriate glue for carbon?

Etc, etc?

I have recently completed my first build using carbon fibre, tube for main spar, rod leading edge, and throwing peg (DLG). This demanded my first use of cyano adhesive, medium where I wanted a bead of glue in addition to what penetrated the joint and thin where I hoped the glue would all penetrate the joint. Parts pinned to the board dry fitted, then glued when happy with the geometry.

I doubt the construction would have been possible without laser cut ribs. How could you accurately hand cut elliptical holes in ribs that are not at 90 degrees to the main spar?

After two flying sessions all the joints were still sound except the throwing peg in the wing tip. I originally glued that with epoxy but most of the glue got pushed out when I inserted the peg though it's hole. I re-glued it dry fitted with thin cyano, which survived my most recent (third) outing with the 'plane.

I see this technique as complementary to all wood construction.

Hi Tosh.

Inserting carbon fibre tubes into a main spar or even the rear of a fuselage means a lighter structure can be built. A typical metre length of 8x6mm tube would cost about £8. With carbon tubes the smaller number refers to the internal diameter. I recently refurbished and electrified my Hambleton Pterasoarus, a 3mtr. tail less design. This aircraft was built in 1990 and has flown many hours, but the spars by now may have become brittle, so carbon tubes were epoxied against the spars with 1/8" sq. spruce above and below the tubes to help the epoxy resin glue.

The tubes were placed at the most vulnerable part of the spar. Below is the aircraft awaiting the insertion of the tubes.pterasoarus re-furb.jpg

Edited By DCW on 19/07/2020 15:06:48

Posted by Tosh McCaber on 19/07/2020 15:20:58:

Martin, which glider were you building?

Tosh, my carbon/balsa/ply glider is a Vick Alt DLG (kit). I posted photos in the Forum members' new models thread. Scroll down to posting on 12/07. Looking at the pictures, the tail boom is, of course, also a carbon tube.

(Trimming the 'plane is proving difficult, I am still refining it).

Looks like an interesting build Martin! Just as well for the pre-cut laser parts!  Looks good- I hope that you sort out the trim.

A bit of a steal from Hyperflight- their kits usually run in the high hundreds to thousands of pounds!

Edited By Tosh McCaber on 19/07/2020 16:57:14

Some 20 years ago , I actually did build,a very large X country glider- 12' wingspan x 14" chord, using that technique- carbon fibre and Kevlar tows on top of the spruce spars, long before the advent of moulded cf spars and rods. Great flyer! Nostalgia! Still hanging up at high level in my workshop. Must get it back down!

Edited By Tosh McCaber on 19/07/2020 17:04:44

Flat carbon strip can be good for spars too. 0.5 x 6 x 1000 mm, for example. On a small model that could be embedded in a foam wing vertically, or glued to the side of a balsa spar. On a larger model, you'd glue it to the outside of a balsa upper and lower spar.

• 4 weeks later...