IC engine, radio gear setup

sqweaka

Advert

Hi,

What radio system are you using?

I try and set the servo travel the same at the carb movement (can get very granular with limited servo travel).

Once the throttle shut and full throttle is set up I then set throttle kill on the TX (for Spektrum its in the model menu).

After all of that is done take the TX throttle stick to mid position and turn the TX off. Shortly after this the throttle servo should go to the shut position (fail safe).

Its a given that you are doing all of this without the engine running, however its worth a mention that if you ever do this with electric that the prop is off the motor. I was once demonstrating the failsafe of a model to the owner (that had been set up and it had been checked by the club) and asked the owner to hold onto the model. There was a bit of surprise when I turned the TX off and the model went to full power. I am sure the club inspected and tested the model as suspect that the model was rebound at some point and the throttle travel reversed at a later stage, but not then rebound.

PS - Just keep asking questions, that's what we are here for laugh

thanks Chris.. its a futaba FF6 old but new to me.

my old set again futaba, but i forget the model.. i believe i had the throttle set so in the off position the model was at idle, with full trim, reducing the trim closed the throttle killing the engine, full throttle was the stick fully up, but i dont think the set had any other adjustments i just had to fiddle with the linkages servo horn etc... but then again i maybe recalling this all wrong

i'm guessing the FF6 will have built in adjustment to help with the set up if i knew how to use it!

Posted by sqweaka on 28/07/2020 20:39:38:

thanks Chris.. its a futaba FF6 old but new to me.

my old set again futaba, but i forget the model.. i believe i had the throttle set so in the off position the model was at idle, with full trim, reducing the trim closed the throttle killing the engine, full throttle was the stick fully up, but i dont think the set had any other adjustments i just had to fiddle with the linkages servo horn etc... but then again i maybe recalling this all wrong

i'm guessing the FF6 will have built in adjustment to help with the set up if i knew how to use it!

That's how I used to set my throttles. Idle with the trim full up (or down?) Then operate the trim to stop the engine. I have an FF7 but I would expect you would have to mix in a switch etc' but don't ask me how.blush

I now have a Frsky Taranis and it's much easier. Having said that I don't remember it being much of a problem to set it mechanically.