Painting glow engine blocks?

Nigel R

Hi ED

Thanks for the message. It's all interesting stuff. Good when you come across people that use or have used certain methods. Anodising - various people who seem good at doing it all say Sulphuric acid is required and difficult to get. I expect its to prevent people throwing it over each other. Always a problem now a days when something 'harmful' is required. Still there is probably a way forward if I research it. I had a pal who did Ok with battery acid and distilled water. Is that correct distilled? water

I have uploaded a couple of videos, showing a Mills that had Magnesium Rot, painted in the black disc brake paint, sealed with hot oil and then ran and the finish aged and went Matt, making the engine look very original and not like it had been re painted

https://youtu.be/glf7wUs9Rr4

Cheers

Steve

Advert

Hello Steve . Sulfuric acid at battery strength is available from most car factors although they usually have to order it in . I dilute it with distilled water at about 50 :50 . Its not critical but needs to be strong enough to be a good electrolyte.

You will also need some Lye or Caustic soda easily obtainable from hardware stores . For degreasing I use Truck wash in HOT water and find it very effective .

I did a mills 75 years ago that had the white rot starting . After thoroughly washing in cellulose thinners and drying with hot air gun i sprayed it with an acrylic satin black then wiped it with oil . After a few days it went to a mattish finish and has stayed looking original even now.