Oooops

Keat

One nice new Irine 40 went out in the back of the car this morning, and came back in a carrier bag this afternoon.

I guess I was trying to run before I could walk.  Everyone at the club remarked how well I was coming on, so we decoded today was the day to take it a step further......."fancy trying a take off !!!"

Under tuition, but no buddy lead, we taxied out across the field, incresed the throttle, and pulled back slightly on the stick, got about 6 feet up and ........................................ it all went wrong from there on really.. not sure what happened, as it all happened so quickly.. she sort of lunged to the right, and before I had time to think striaght, it was a pile of balsa and matchwood.....

Ah well, it's now a case of get back on the horse, and try again, or quit while I'm only £60 down

Advert

Bad luck Keat hope your model is repairable? From the sounds of it, it should be ok as you were quite low on speed and altitude? Not knowing the full gory details its a little difficult to decipher just what went wrong. Eric is spot on and it does sound like a tip stall which is a classic error mate but you may have been the victim of a sudden gust of cross wind which can challenge the most proficient of pilots at any given moment. Strange that it "lunged to the right" as you say, its usually to the left ,but anyway we live we learn. Don't give up mate just jump straight back on that buddy lead. I know its a downer when this happens so soon into your training but the first time you get it right is just simply the best..........

Happy Landings.

Gazza.    

On of the guys out my club can up to the patch for his first flight with his misses to watch. Brand new trainer 2.4Ghz radio new SC engine all the gear brand new. First flight with instructor on the buddy lead the model had  mid air collision and was destroyed. I thought we may never see him again but no he got a new trainer and was up again soon after. He has now passed his A test and is a good solo pilot. Do not let this little set back put you off this is a fantastic hobby/sport full of ups and downs both in the air and in your head!

This is the reason I always leave take-off by the student as the last thing I teach them. Circuits, touch-and-goes, and landings first, this way the student already knows what to expect in the way of corrective action after take-off as he has done them with the model already moving. A model starting from stationary will usually swing or get affected by cross wind etc and in the early stages, this can be a model wrecker and an afternoon's flying ruined.

Playing with the simulator, I reckon, when she wobbled, and my instructor, said, cut, cut, cut...............       I panicked and fed some rudder in, as doing this on the sim, emulates what happened on Sunday... or as near as dammit. 

Anyway, i'm getting back on the horse, I ordered another irvine 40 tutor kit today. should be here tomorrow in time for me to wreck it at the weekend.

I've stripped the other airframe back, and i reckon, i'm going to have a go at repairing it.. whether or not it's cost effective is another matter.

The fuse is punctured, with some of the ply and balsa smashed. The wing is in fact currenly 2 halves, with a nasty puncture wound, leading edge bashed and a brace smashed. The tail plane section is off in one peice, and looks like it will epoxy back on, with the tail a bit loose and wobbly.

I'm going to have a walk down to the model shop at lunch time, to pickup some balsa, and price up some palstic covering...

It might come in handy to practice some take off's.... ha ha

Keep at it!

I recollect many, many moons ago my first take-off (before the introduction of buddie boxes so gives you some idea!)

Having flown circuits under supervision i was deemed ready to take the mighty Keil Kraft Student aloft "solo".

With the awesome power of the Ueda 29 (!) straining at the leash, she staggered along the runway, a hint of rudder kept her straight and up she went.............slowly............but up all the same. Under the precision control of the state of the art Horizon radio gear, the left wing dropped...............then dropped a little more............and more.....

...................shattered left wing and tail was the inevitable result.

Reason?.........amazed at seeing the aircraft take to the sky under my "control", I simply froze....

oh, well, my father always prefers building/repairing to flying, so i keep him busy in that regard till this day...

Dont be disheartened, "crashings only proof that you are trying"

Hi Bruce,

a variation on that is 'the man who never made a mistake never made much else either' and it is true, in the 60's I worked at the BSA building motorbikes, when I learned to ride the instructor told me the only way to learn to ride properly is to fall off on a regular basis, if you can do that and get back on you learn the hard way and never forget, a lot like model flying I think,

regards,      Terry

I doubt that Ernie? Complacency and assumption I think might be the biggest threat to our skills on the sticks and I'm a living testimony to that!

I learnt the proper way....... eventually!....... But looking back on those early days I guess I 'learnt' my self how not to fly if that makes sense....

On many occasion my preflight checks have highlighted that a potential 'early landing' may be imminent, quite recently, to my horror, I discovered that my aileron control rods (Acro Wot) where slowly enjoying eating away at it's neighbouring elevator servo lead and had exposed bare cable on the signal wire. (White--- Futaba) It was a glorious sunny day with a slight breeze and perfect for flying, I had nothing else with me to fly that day. It was so tempting to patch it up with a bit of tape and hope for the best, but I didn't...........  Not easy to fly without an elevator and even more difficult when the kit is on fire due to arcing!!! So I packed up and went home and sulked!!

My attitude is that if your gonna crash make sure its not because of something you forgot and could have been avoided, that way you wont kick yourself to hard forever more over it!!!

Every landing is a good one so long as no one gets hurt...... 

Gazza. 

The replacement is now on hold.. me thinks..

The rebuild is coming on well, so I think I might fly what I'm calling Phoenix (from the ashes ??) until at least, my confidence is restored, then once I'm convinvced I can do this, swap everything over to the new one.... just beginning to wish I'd not bought and started building the new one now.

Hi Keat, When I started trying to fly RC about 10 years ago.I had a Multiplex Pico Cub, as I lived in the sticks and my nearest club was a 50 mile round trip  I thought I will teach myself. 1 plane one field one plastic bag for about 3 years eventually the cub got too heavy.but I never gave up.my next plane was a GWS Tiger moth the little one with Yogie bear as pilot,he is quite good now, but flying No 3 quite well I am told.

If you dont at first succeed try try and try again, I am pleased to say I still get a BIG  BUZZ when I come from a good flying session, if I have a mishap its most likely Yogie had one to many last night,but never  mind I will fix it for him.

I am now living in the south of Ireland so am still far from a club but have a fabulous beach nearby that is my flying field and when weather permits you will find me having fun.

Its like a Drug, I know I`m HOOKED.

Keep Happy

Bill 

I got the Irvine airframe and wing back together today. (its messy)

That bloomin solafim, is awful to put on, and not get any marks or creases.

With a bit of luck, I can get all the servo's, engine, tank etc back in this week, and take it back to the club, for a test flight next weekend.

Any advice on what I can do to test its structural strength, without destroying it ??

I was considering strapping it down in the garden, and running the engine, to emulate some stresses.. !!