Miss Camomile. a SMA model build

Peter Miller

So my old Small Model Association has just been resurrected by someone on the forum just as I started designing Miss Camomile.

The name is because Camomile Tea is calming and I feel I could do with something calmer,

The model is designed for the equivalent of .049 glow motors and I did plan to fit one but changed my mind. I have an OK Cub .049.

However these day I like longer flights and throttle control.

The model is pretty simple to build

The fuselage sides are 1/16" sheet with triangular stock in the corners

dscf4618.jpg

Here is one side with triangular stock at some of the former locations. Note that it is easier to bind the under carriage to the formers before gluing them in place

dscf4619.jpg

I have added 1/8" sheet under the tailplane slot to suport this. The tailplane is 1/8" sheet.

dscf4620.jpg

The U/C is made from 10 SWG wire. Possibly a bit stiffer than needed but our strip can be rough with deep cracks in it in the summer

dscf4622.jpg

The formers are glued to one side and left to dry.

Well Got some more done. In fact a lot as I am now covering the model

dscf4633.jpg

The wings have now been completed. They will be bolted on with two 4mm nylon bolts. Rubber bands and dowels would be a better choice for the inexperienced pilot.

dscf4635.jpg

This shot shows the 1/16" ply plates for the bolt heads.

dscf4637.jpg

The fuselage sanded down. The corners are heavily radiused which was why I put 1/4" triangular stock in all the corners. It makes it far better looking for very little work (but a lot of balsa dust!!!)

dscf4638.jpg

The cowling has been built. It uses my keyhole slot arrangement to hold the cowl on.

dscf4639.jpg

The battery compartment. To be honest at the moment the 1100 Mah battery brings the CG far too far forwards but I am hoping that with the covering, the tail fitted and the wing bolted on the CG might be adjustable with a minimum of lead at the tail.

However there is room to put the battery under the CG although that might mean lead in the nose but not as much.

I orginally planned to use an OK Cub .049 so It would be ideal for an .049 or a Mills .75

dscf4640.jpg

The cabin area. The battery hatch could be under the front compartment. The servos go in the rear compartment.

Right. Back to covering.

Well two weeks from gettung my plans printed off and I am out in the road taking pictures of the completed model even though the wind is trying to blow it into the field.

I am amazed and delighted to say that the CG came out exactly on the marks with no added weight.

Span 45" area around 300 sq .in. weight about 23 ounces

dscf4642.jpg

dscf4643.jpg

dscf4644.jpg

dscf4647.jpg

dscf4646.jpg

Flight tests today!!

Well, it flies. even the tine motor over powered it. I had the throws too high.

It flies like a dream, bags of power. Even after I fitted a smaller propellor.

Takes off like a scaled cat.

Even on low rates I can do aileron/elevator rolls which with a bit of practice should be pretty axial

camomile flt 112.jpg

camomile flt 134.jpg

Oh yes, It also flies inverted very nicely

camomile flt 189.jpg

I like it.

Eventually it will be a plan but I have some work to do of which more later.