Hello from a complete newbie

Callum Fraser

Been reading RCM&E for about a year, but have only just got round to subscribing properly and joining the forums/community.

Even though I have been reding for about a year i have still yet to even fully consider flying a model.

At the moment i dont have any 'spare' money that i can argue would be ok to spend to the better half. I am hoping that soonish i will be able to though.

The thing i am kind of wondering is what a good simulator would be to start on?

I have no RC equipment, and as i said id prefer not to go and buy anything too expencive (hence a sim) atm. Soo a good sim with controller would be best for now i think. any ideas?

I know this is the wrong forum for the latter, but i will remove the last bit and post it in the beginer bit if you would prefer.

Advert

Hi Callum, and as a regular contributer to this forum said  'welcome to the madhouse'

Re sims, I have a rather old Realflight G2, which is just fine..I bet the newer ones are just fantastic.. Also you can download some free ones from the web. However, they are no substitute for the real thing, It's not just the flying, but the whole experience...Do consider joining a club. You will learn so much, and you might be very surprised how little you can pick up a second hand trainer for. This has the huge advantage that it will be a proven flyer, and you may well get a test flight before you buy..I'd be shy, however of buying from the internet, or someone you don't know. Pokes and pigs come readily to mind.

Have fun and please ask if you need more information

ernie

Try this one. The search facility is rubbish unfortunately. I can recommend RC Plane Master for about £20 including controller. It is not the best around but I found it was great for a beginner and the price is unbeatable if you do not have transmitter. If you did have a transmitter I would recommend FMS which is free to download on the Internet.

I would second Bruces comments.

RC Plane master with Tx replicator, FMS if you have a Tx.

Having said that, I am rubbish on a sim, but train others on the real thing so there are limitations.

Use a sim to aquire the thumb skills to control the plane flying both away from you as well as towards you. Also good for learning aeros.

Good luck

well, im used to playing on the xbox, granted not exactly the same, bit i do pick up things like that fairly fast, jus need to figure out what id be better at mode 1 or 2.

I downloaded the demo version of RC Plane Master and used the xbox controller. The throttle was sprung (wheras normally it wouldnt be, right?) but otherwise it seemed not too bad.

getting used to the flying will take a while... i have some control over it, but often i get it wrong.

getting better, i know its not very realistic at all, but i can take off, fly around (not brilliant at aiming alot) and sometimes land ok... other times i dont,

Main problem is landing back where i started (on the strip). one of those things that will take getting used to... once i can do that i can up the winds and other things.

It wont be greatly realistic, it seems very directly responcive (im guessing a real one would feel slightly less direct). But it will teach me how to cope with them in optimal conditions.

Now, time to plan what training model plan i want to build to learn on (not that i can buy one now, but i can still think about it )

yes, i have noticed that perception depth is very hard on the simulator, but if i can do it on that with winds up to full (30mph i think) and gusts and things, then i think landing a real one should be a little easier.

That would be great william.

My current plan is to build the trainer myself (from a plan and a pile of wood/glue/paint) as i think i will like it more that way. but if people think it might be better to go with a standard trainer then i will definatly need some tips on the cream of the crop.

I am very tempted to make a blog of my experiances on my web site, then converting it to an Article/Guide or something.

Hi Callum, It's very possible to build a trainer from a 'plan and a pile of wood etc'    My advice however would be to start with a kit...It probably is just as cheap in the long run. There is an awful lot to learn if you build from scratch, and it will take quite a bit of time.  Flair make some fine kits...Their  Cub makes an excellent trainer, and is an easy build..A Super 60 also makes a good trainer.  I do agree about building, yourself, and yes, you will like it more

ernie

yes, I thought that it might be best to stick with a kit initally.

Im very tempted to not buy a full kit, but to buy the plane and then a seperat rx and tm + servo pack. As im a bit warey of getting a beginers pack.

I would be very surprised if i dont have more than one plane within a few years, and id prefer to use one or 2 tx/rc's rather than many, so id prefer to get a decent 6ch tx and rx straight off.

Hi Callum,

Yup, buy a kit for the plane, and the radio and engine separately. There are some good deals around right now, because a new frequency has become available. It's generally refered to as 2.4 . It's difficult to advise, because 2.4 is certainly the future, but because so many modellers are changing over, there is piles of perfectly good older systems available for very little cash. (I've got a bundle of high quality recievers that need a home)  

If you contact your local club, you'll certainly find some good deals

ernie

Been doing some serching, the inital good looking first tx was going to be the Multiplex Cockpit SX. However, it seems that this isnt a very common tx, both on the field and in general to buy.

So i carried on searching, i have found what seems to be a great offer on a Futiba 6EX-FASST tx/rx set. Anyone have any experiance, or thoughts on this one?

I want a tx that will be fairly future proof, and common enough so that i can find people who can link up and teach me the ropes. (the 2nd point involves a visit to my local flight site, i know, but at the moment i cant afford any of this. Call it wishfull thinking/planning for x-mas if you will)

Good morning Callum, Ask ten people about radios, and you'll get ten different answers, but I've been using that radio since it was introduced, and have nothing but praise for it. Its absolutely bang up to date..It certainly, it isn't top of he range, but it has ample features to keep you happy for many years.

ernie

Hi Callum

If you can possibly afford it,  buy a new one..The 2.4 futaba set that you mentioned is pretty cheap for what it is...I wouldn't touch one from ebay , or from any source that you were not absolutely sure about...After all, if the radio goes wrong, then you loose the lot, not to mention what you might hit in the process......................Also, there are not that many second hand 2.4 sets about, 'cos they are still quite new

ernie