Cambrian Model Company's Spartan.

On Wednesday, My Mate Johnny dropped off a model he had started a while back.

A Spartan from C.M.Company,

He had built the Horizontal stab, but that was it.

On examination, it was a bit crooked. It looked like the parts were a poor fit.

There is also very little info on the Drawing, proper old school.

On Thursday he phoned to ask if I had looked at it.....on Thursday evening I decided to rebuild the tail ......... I made all new ribs and used new wood for the spars, the only original bits left were the tips. On Saturday afternoon this was the result....laugh

Conversion to electric of course, you can see the new battery hatch in the first pic.

D.D.

img_20201010_194001.jpg

img_20201010_194023.jpg

Excellent.

It's a superb model. The kit and the final flying performance on electric power, (of course wink 2) is excellent.

I found a vertical drop in LiPo, near the front bulkhead achieved the required C of G position. Keep control throws and power down to a minimum so as to avoid Dutch Roll. She just putters around gracefully against blue skies and fluffy white clouds, a true delight you will enjoy I'm sure.

Thanks Captain,

I had considered just that, a vertical lipo arrangement but decided on a battery tray accessed from the underside...

Ah well....I have plenty of lead in the shed. LOL.

I also agree, this type of model is totally relaxing to fly. I have a Jim Newberry "Puddle duck" and a more vintage "Great News". All on Battery power.

D.D.

So, when I took the prop I had tested off, I discovered it was a 10 x 6. DOH !!

So I tested a 10 x 7, the figures were much the same.

A 9 x 6 produced 170 W @14A .

I have covered the tail plane and attached it, so I could install the snakes. The turn buckles are soldered at both ends.

Covering is H.K translucent Burnt Orange.

D.D.

img_20201018_191225.jpg

img_20201018_191245.jpg

img_20201018_191328.jpg

img_20201018_191257.jpg

img_20201018_191341.jpg

img_20201018_191438.jpg

Edited By Dwain Dibley. on 18/10/2020 19:59:34

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chaps, I had my third fit/seizure on Monday the 19th, so I am officially Epileptic. YAY !!

So I can't drive etc etc, and have to take medication. It has taken till now (10 days) for me to get back to "normal" ,

if I ever was... LOL This fit threw me right out of bed, I thought the paramedic was really tall, but I was on the floor not the bed ..LOL.

I have almost finished the Spartan, she is covered and ready to go, just needs about 140g in the front, and a bit of paint.

She looks a lot like the Puddle Duck don't you think ?

D.D.

img_20201029_142356.jpg

img_20201029_142413.jpg

Battery, ESC, and Rx.

img_20201029_142500.jpg

Plenty of room for that lead.

img_20201029_142651.jpg

Will I ever get to fly all of these rubber powered jobbies ?

img_20201029_142804.jpg

Posted by Dwain Dibley. on 29/10/2020 16:28:13:

Excellent stuff Captain, thanks for posting. Check out the price, LOL.

D.D.

Yes but notice the wheels aren't included so it's still a bit of a rip-off even at errr ... £1.95(?)

I know you're making a joke out of your epilepsy but I'm sure it's no picnic and will be very restrictive. I hope you keep well. You certainly seem to be enjoying your workshop. I am too, but there are days (like today) when I just watch La Vuelta - even a flat stage - and do nowt.

Geoff

I watch on my PC which is in my workshop/study. Not had a TV for over 50 years except we borrowed a s/h one from the family TV shop in 1969 to watch Neil Armstrong do his stuff. I suppose having no kids helps

Yes, the paths round here getting back to muddy with all the rain lately - we were spoiled last spring/summer without the sludge.

Geoff

Walked into town today to sort out licence, Woman in the P.O. said no probs about taking my bike in the place...... Still, I enjoyed the walk.

Got some paint on the little Darlin'.

I Might fly her after the lock down, Ha Ha Haaaaaaaaaaaa !

D.D.

img_20201030_144449.jpg

Wedged a bit of church roof in there, looks like a battery.

img_20201030_144330.jpg