Irvine 20 Diesel Spares / Parts / Damaged Engine wanted

John Botomley

Trying to sort out a butchered Irvine 20 diesel recently bought off a well known auction site.

The area around the compression screw locking mechanism (essentially a grub screw inserted into a tapped hole in the side of the cylinder head) has been butchered.

Ideally I'm looking for a new spare cylinder head & compression screw, but willing to consider a used part in good condition or even a complete non-runner engine.

What's out there??

Advert

Hi John, Irvine diesels are a bit of a rarity. [ I have a 40 ] Finding spares may be difficult as they were not in production long.

Never thought much of the grub screw idea and fitted mine with a locking lever on the compression screw similar to other engine types. [ made from a steel strip drilled and tapped at one end. ] With the comp screw and head if damaged ED [ engine doctor ] may be able to help.

Cheers, John.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by J D 8 on 29/10/2020 19:06:28:

The grub screw was standard and a rubbish idea, damaging the thread on the comp screw hence the mod.

Model Technics recommend D2000 or 3000 thousand for engines larger than 1.5cc, 3000 for ball race engines. John.

The grub screw forced a ptfe pad onto the compscrew which held the company screw in place by friction, the amount of which was easily adjusted. It worked very well, for your thread to be damaged implies the ptfe pad is missing.