Covering - how long does it take you?

Advert

Hi Folks

The 'covering' articles are all very interesting. I returned to the 21st Century modelling scene a couple of years ago leaving behind the Solar film and dope and tissue era . I've covered a few models now using Oracover & Oratex, a steep learning curve at first and it would take me forever to complete a 60" span model compared to T&D. As time passes and confidence grows I guess that it now takes about 7-8 hours for a simple fuselage and wing. I still marvel at some of the more complex colour schemes that some skilled modellers manage to achieve, i'm not sure that I'll ever attempt that standard of finish, satisfied to keep it simple and neat!

Stay healthy

SW

Ben Buckle 'Great News' covered in vintage yellow solartex, when it was available. It felt like the covering job took almost as long as the build. I used balsaloc for some areas, but to be honest the iron on adhesive on the back of the 'tex' was so good that I probably didn't need it, it's all about getting the iron temperature just right. Good scissors, and a sharp new model knife blade are essential. 2 coats of 50/50 thinned clear dope were applied with a good quality brush , and Halford's 'rattle can' acrylic car spray paint for the trim and lettering.

img_20180401_184743.jpgimg_20180401_184257.jpg