New ParkZone F-4 Corsair

Chris Card

A very nice new addition to the range Parkzone!  I'm sure that like the Parkzone Spit and Mustang these will be bought in large numbers by complete beginners who have little chance of mastering it in the 2 flights before it becomes shredded packing foam, but many experienced flyers will also be drawn to this.

The inclusion of a sensible radio system which can be  usefully transferred into other planes instead of those nasty 27MHz sets is a bonus, so is the brushless motor and lipo.  Seems Parkzone has caught up with the latest technology.  

Don't get me wrong, I like the brand and their Super Cub got me started 2 years ago but I've not yet found a use for my 27MHz radio set complete with 5 wire servos.

As for the Corsair - well if you're reading this thread because you bought one and now need help to fly it - BRING IT TO ME>>>!!

I bought a Parkzone F4U Corsair from Sussex Model Centre on Saturday, took it straight to Stanmer Park and had a great fly.

Video on Youtube if you search for 'dannym2000 corsair'

It was fairly windy (15mph) but the Corsair handled really well, especially after I reversed the rudder servo into the correct direction (total school boy error), but I guess that at least shows I can handle turns on aileron only!

Looking forward to finding a local flying club that is actually accepting any new members!

Dan

Hi Dan i have been flying 3ch planes for about 3 months and i have a 4ch plane aswell,so do you think i would be able to fly the corsair?

If you go on youtube and look up startazz channel you will see what i have been up to with my r/c stuff,

I would love to get some advice of you and anyone else who check out my youtube channel

Now going to take a look at your corsair video mate.

Startazz

I think you can change the XTAl on the reciever providing there is a slot for a crystal for a 35 meg one Iv''e changed one quite successfuly from 40 megs to 35 and made use of a very lightweight reciever from a parkflyer . Hope this is of use and I'm not talking of the top of my head

Regards John M

• 2 months later...

Wow! Just flown my Corsair today, one word - fandabidosie!!! Bit of progression from the Trojan, flies really well and a nice touch with the landing skids for us belly landers.

Reckon she might get a bit scuffed up over time so I'm looking for paints. Cant find the Testors range here in the UK (unless you know different! ), the Humbrol reference in the RCM&E review looks wrong to me, so can anyone give me a clue as to the nearest match for the lighter blue colour?

Cheers all and have a happy new year!!!

Regards,

Tony

One thing I have noticed is that it can be a bit difficult to judge the angle of a bank when the sky is very dark, like it has been over the last couple of days - dark blue wing against a dark sky, ummm. I might paint some sort of white or yellow identification panel on the top of the wing to aid orientation.

Took my brothers PZ FW190 out for a fly and stuffed it up a huge tree! The thing would not fly very well on reduced throttle, unlike the Trojan or Corsair. Moral of the tail is (a) If you want a good flying machine forget the Spit, Mustang or FW190, fork out a tadge more and get the Trojan (my favourite) or the Corsair, you wont be disappointed, and (b) Don't fly anywhere where there are trees!!!

An interesting thing I learnt from looking at the Testors paint range is that the references that Parkzone give for the Corsair equate to enamel paints, not acrylics. Can you use enamel on foam?

I prefer enamels on foam Tony, I find they flake off less, when doing complex paint jobs I find the masking film often takes acrylics with it so now use enamels. Test first is the moral of the story.

Strange what you said about the FW190, my PZ Mustang likes trees also  Any way I must stop reading this thread, I really don 't need a corsair... I really do not need a corsair... I really, do you think if I say it often enough it will work?

Thanks Gemma, I've also found that acrylics can have poor adhesion to foam (when trying to remove a decal). Will use Humbrol enamel from the tin as in the past I've had very few reactions with the thinner they use.

Trees hey? I'm sure they are alive like those in 'Lord of the Rings'; they just grab your plane out of the sky when you're not looking!

BTW resistance is futile, repeat after me, I really need a corsair....I really need a corsair....I really need a corsair. Live the dream!!!!!

Just to wet your appetite:

<a href="javascript:CaricaFoto('http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/ehobbies-com_2034_208255789','ParkZone F4U Corsair RTF Electric Airplane - 4600','475','500')">

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/ehobbies-com_2035_46026180

</a>

• 1 month later...
I've still yet to maiden mine, went out yesterday with my Art-tech Mustang in a brisk breeze & must say it handled it well, changed the prop from the naff 4 blade to a PZ spit prop & that really does help.

Anyway, i've seen some guy on youtube launch  the PZ corsair by holding it from the top, just behind cockpit and underarm throwing, seemed to work well, anyone else tryed it?

• 3 weeks later...
Try the Trojan first, it is easier to orientate and see in flight because of the colour scheme, the tricycle undercarriage is a bonus if you use it. I like the Corsair and it flies like a slightly faster Trojan, but on the crosswind turn I keep feeling for a second or two it is going away from me when it is not - that isn't a feeling you need when first stepping up.