"Does winter suck for RC Planes" Short Video of flying in the Norwegian snow

Pete Pilot

Finally finished this short video, "Does winter suck for RC Planes" which features a 1500mm DHC Turbo Beaver.  First time I've tried using the floats as skis and was pleasantly surprised.  

Enjoy the flights and the snowy mountains of Norway! 

Thoughts, questions, comments and even constructive feedback on the video are always welcome. 

Cheers!

-Pete

Edited By Pete Pilot on 24/01/2021 01:06:52

Edited By Pete Pilot on 24/01/2021 01:10:41

Advert

We only get usable snow once or twice a year where I live - although I suppose the same is true for you except it's there for the winter instead of just 2 or 3 days! I look forward to it and have a variety of skis and floats that I strap on to a model when it's forecast. There's something about the crisp sounds from a slip and go that makes continuous circuits and slides most rewarding.

My "go to" snow model is an old Limbo Dancer on some rather oversized floats - the sudden pitch down with speed gives an added interest to the flight! Giving the lie to the old wisdom that MDS engines are all rubbish, the .38 fitted to it has always started and run well in temperatures around 0 degrees C.

Sadly, this year we're in lockdown and travelling to the flying field is not an option so it looks like we'll miss out on the fun this year. Are you lucky enough to fly from the front of your house, Pete?

P.S. Just remembered that Chris Larkins posted a short video on Youtube:

Edited By Martin Harris - Moderator on 24/01/2021 01:43:08

Hi, yes I am extremely fortunate to be in (the middle of no where) Norway during this whole pandemic, (from the USA originally) and yes these flights all took place on our farm here, which again I'm extremely fortunate for. Living here is why I started with RC planes/drones, I couldn't let all this open space go unused!

We definitely get more snow than you all in the UK, but actually we live on the coast which is kept warm by the Gulf Stream and so the snow comes and goes pretty quickly.

These were actually my first flight attempts on the snow, and -as I say in the video- it's amazing because in warmer weather the fields are impossible to take off and land on (hilly, bumpy, thick grass) my runway is this narrow short strip surround by farm equipment, trees and saltwater... but now with snow I can just takeoff and land everywhere, what fun!

I remember in the1970's we used to get bad winters up here in the north of Durham. I took the undercarriage off my Kamco Cadet trainer (which had survived my early attempts at RC) and went flying in the snow. The downside was then no electric and cold glow fuel on cold hands is not pleasant but once it was up and running great fun, hand launch's and belly landings. My wife thought we were all mad , she was probably right. I was tempted yesterday as it was cold and sunny with no wind but the thought of a £200 fine put me off.

I used to live in Finland, we flew our models from frozen lakes in the winter. We'd drive out onto the ice and fly using either wheels or skis, the snow covering the ice was usually strong enough to prevent the wheels digging in, at least on take off.

Lakes are lovely and flat, but we needed floats to fly there in the summer!

Tim, thanks! Yea, there are some benefits to the cold. Though today the snow is melting and fields are becoming muddy already... we also get plenty of rain here and often my runaway is just mud puddles.

Eric, if you’ve been flying RC planes for that long it’s pretty likely you are mad... but nothing wrong with madness if you’re having a good time! What is the 200£ fine for? Haven’t kept up with the laws everywhere.

Dave, wow Finland! Frozen lakes sound perfect for flying, despite the obvious cold! Summers on the water sounds lovely for sure though!

All, Thanks for the feedback and for checking out the video! If you want to subscribe and support the channel that would be awesome. I’m constantly working on new videos centered around “Living to Hobby!”

Cheers!

Edited By Pete Pilot on 24/01/2021 11:40:39

Hi Pete, we are in lockdown tier 4 due to Covid, we are only allowed out for essential shopping and exercise within our local area.. My uncle was stationed in Norway toward the end of the war he thought it was a beautiful place, though he was from Sheffield which was very industrial then so Norway would be a pleasant change. There is a photo of him standing guard on a shot down Focke Wulf 189 I would like to get off my cousin. They asked me to identify the aeroplane as they thought it was a Dornier with the twin fins.

Cheers Eric.

Dave, that’s looks like a great time.

Martin, ok so it’s a corona related fine. I was curious if it was a new RC Plane/Drone law since much has changed recently. Agreed we should all do our best to control this disease; before I moved here I lived in Washington DC... glad I don’t live there lately for some many reasons.

Eric, Good info. That sounds like a great photo, you should definitely get a copy, if nothing else your cousin could just take a picture of it for you. I’d love to see it.

Hey Eric that was quick! What a great photo, I asked my wife where in Norway this is, and she said based on the trees and grass that she has no idea. 😆

I googled the Focke Wulf 189, it’s a pretty funny/strange looking plane. Glad you have a copy of this photo now, really a neat piece of family history.

Yea, definitely classified, but we’ll crack the case someday...

Had a nice flight again today to test out a new GoPro Hero 8. It takes very nice footage and is stabilized so looks very smooth.. Might drive up the mountain behind our place to find an interesting place to fly up there sometime soon.

Today’s flight started with poor camera positioning, which resulted in a severely nose heavy plane and ending in a hot landing into the side of a rock... so a couple repairs and tweaks are in order before any future flights.

Sorry most of you can’t currently fly.