S6R Question

Fun Flyer

I was planning to fit a Stabiliser to one of my models, you need to find something to do these days, and having used FrSky Rxs successfully in the past I was going to go for an S6R instead of a seperate unit. However having read through the topics on here I'm wondering if the S6R is more trouble than its worth especiall as I have an A3 Pro sitting on the shelf. My Tx is running a FrSky DHT Module. Any thoughts?

Personally I am not a fan of the S6/8R. Configuring them looks a pain and they are known to be lacking in processing power. There have been lots of issues getting them to work correctly on v2.0 ACCST, and I've seen a number of unexplained crashes on them from people who I know to be highly knowledgeable in RC setup. As a result I have never felt confident enough to try one, especially as my ET Guardian have never missed a beat. They are more expensive but seem to work great with very minimal setup.

Edited By MattyB on 26/01/2021 14:33:00

I've used both S6R and S8R without any problems since late 2016. Early V2 firmware did cause some problems, but I believe they are all OK now.

I, of course, use erskyTx firmware on my TX. This includes a built in menu to configure the SxR parameter, and also supports a script for the configuration that loads all the parameters in a couple of seconds.

Fun Flyer: The SxR is not compatible with the DHT as that uses D8 mode with only 8 channels and the SxR needs D16 mode and at least 12 channels. You would need your Tx to use the (new) XHT module (if you can't use an external module) and support the PXX protocol to the module (not PPM).

Mike

Posted by Gary Vinten 1 on 26/01/2021 15:21:23:

I am wondering how many other pilots have had problems making there plans crash with this s6r

If the S6R is fixed down On a solid level surface, facing forward, with the gain set at its lowest, it will aid the flight.

Conversely, if the S6R is loose, free to move about, On a high gain, it will aid you into the ground agreed.

First, IF the S6R will run in D8 mode (as used by the DFT module) then you would need the STK or similar adaptor to program the receiver from your computer. With an X series transmitter it's simple enough to configure the receiver once it's bound using the supplied LUA.

Second, Matty, I thought the issues with v2.1x had been ironed out? Certainly on v1 mine worked fine if calibrated and configured for the model they were in though I've not had chance to try them on the current flavour of RF v2.1. I did hear of someone with an issue when using an Archer SR8 with third party SBUS expanders when in a failsafe state though that seems to be a one-off.

edit - Mike beat me to it while I was typing.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 26/01/2021 15:39:31

The set up in the lua script in open tx makes it much better to setup and calibration is cool as well .

Ch12 switch can be a problem for some I don't install it just press the failsafe button the blue light will come on and do its thing when its finished don't forget to move all the sticks to max( but not throttle ) when done move the throttle stick to conferm . Only when tis is done do I set up dual rates if you have already set them put them on high before calibration wink

Posted by Mike Blandford on 26/01/2021 15:29:22:

Fun Flyer: The SxR is not compatible with the DHT as that uses D8 mode with only 8 channels and the SxR needs D16 mode and at least 12 channels. You would need your Tx to use the (new) XHT module (if you can't use an external module) and support the PXX protocol to the module (not PPM).

Mike

All the vendor sites I've looked at state that the S6R is compatible with the DHT module. Its also stated on the FrSky documentation on their sites for download. However when I checked on the FrSky site I found that Mike is correct. That saved me many headaches I think

Thanks for the replies everyone. MattyB pretty well sums up what I suspected. Time to dust off the A3 Pro.