Any disabled advice, especially RE mobility scooters?

Bob Cotsford

I can't be the first modeller to decide it's time to stop fighting my condition and start looking at making life easier by getting a mobility scooter, so does anyone currently use one or have knowledge of folding or portable scooters?  Anyone in the trade with the low-down on what's the current best buy, what to look for and what to avoid?

My current thinking is that folding scooter appear to lack ground clearance and are generally narrow track and hence slightly less stable.  Car boot portable types look to be a little more generously proportioned but how easy are they to strip and reassemble?  I assume Lithium power packs would be the natural choice as SLA packs seem to be the heaviest item where they are used.

So, who has got the gen.?

My wife has one of these and it's quite easy to assemble and disassemble. I have an XF and they are not renowned for boot space, but the scooter will fit in just half, leaving room for a case or shopping. Being Lithium it holds the charge forever and with a 7 mile range we find that we do not have to charge it very often.

The tyres are solid and have a good grip but as you say ground clearance is only a couple of inches. 

My OH has a eFoldi which we keep in the motorhome. It weighs just 17kg and folds down into a suitcase size which is easy to fit in a car boot. Looks a bit quirky, but being road legal will do 8mph, and the high ground clearance and inflatable tyres make for an easy ride over rough ground. You can also use it as a chair. No stripping and reassembling, it simply folds down in seconds. It has a lithium battery good for about 14 miles.

eFOLDi MK 1.5 Scooter

That's a handy looking trike Andy, the biggest issue for me would be that it's not step-through, or at least sit on and swivel into the driving/riding position.  I went to the most local mobility shop yesterday, the Pride GoGo looked good, had reasonable ground clearance, decent sized wheels and was comfortable (for what it is) but being SLA batteries it weighed a ton.  They did have one Lithium powered scooter but that weighed about 10kg more than Colin's Li-Tech suggestion.

More local dealers to be visited before I flex the plastic!

Ape-hangers could be a bit higher Martin!  I'm not sure that one is meant to be dismantled and slung in the back of a car either.  It does have style though ?

So far Colin's Li-Tech suggestion is favourite though I'd like to see one in the flesh before ordering.  Seeing as we're not likely to get out to the field before May between lockdown and waiting for the field to dry out I will wait and see if anything turns up on the second hand sites before rushing out and buying new.