Vintage models

Being a novice in the model air caft world at the rare old age of 64 , I have found my nitch in witchi would like to stay i.e.vintage model air craft .I would like to hear from any one that can give me any advice or tips, I am at present  building a LANZO RECORD BREAKER  , i have the fusalage(exscuse my spelling) nearly finished i.e. body ,under cart  fuel tank, .I am now starting the tail plane and fin/rudder, I hasne to add that i do know a fair bit  about aero dynamices having been into air craft most of my life .so any help would be great n cheers BERNIE

Timbo

My comment is not without substance (unusually ) & I'll tell you why . I decided to set my lipos to the best "storage"voltage today  .The one I bought to replace my Rx Nicads with its voltage reducer  measured 0.22V !  After the charger flashing & bleeping following several re starts/attempts  I now have a 2s lipo of 3.14 V !!! I wonder why (I ask myself) ? .That is enough for me ! I know when I.m beat so shall go back to what I know & cut my losses

& I mean REALLY Grumpy !  Watch the classifieds  anyone in the Newcastle area !  Will swap my 'lectric stuff for any 4st   .(dont care if I lose on the deal .

Well without hijacking the thread, you probably left it connected to something - even the regulator alone will slowly drain the pack - even if its not actually supplying any power at the time. There is no way your 2s lipo drained itself to .22V all by itself - human error as usual with these things is to blame.

I just think its a little unfair to suggest to someone that they should not even consider electric flight - after all it is the fastest growing sector of our sport by a million miles and not everyone has such problems with it as you seem to have experienced.

Timbo

Funny you mention the regulator ! I left it connected to the battery but to nothing else!  Like you do in an installation No one told me that I shouldn't have ! Being electronic I assumed (wrongly )that it would "know" there was no current drain. Wrong again .Had it been a transtormer /diode/normal rectumfrier circuit then of course I would have disconnected the primary winding ! If there is nothing connected to the regulator/ voltage dropper why should it drain away ?. Not trying to put anyone off lipos (my others are OK =Just recounting my experience) It might stop someone making similar mistakes like I have  By the way -Why is one cell OK ?( I presume)

Yep, afraid I was right then - even not used, if the battery is connected to the regulator, the input stage of the reg will still draw a small current....sufficient to drain a battery over time. You may find that if you leave it on the charger on very low current, it might recover. "Burp charging" it may also work .

I have in the past, connected the battery direct to a 12V battery for a couple of seconds, and this has " woken it up" sufficiently to enable a normal charge to take place.

Usual disclaimer s apply.

Eric  ( & by the way -apologies to all for Hi-jacking the thread  I was very angry yesterday )

the 2s  lipo (for the Rx supply only )  was connected to the voltage regulator ie open circuit I assumed ?  and not to the Rx .There would obviously have been a drain if it had have been . Its back to 0.3 V this morning . The lowest I can charge is 500 mA  - The battery capacity is / WAS  1345 mAh. Not sure what to try

Grumpy -Think I'll watch F1 later

The regulator circuitry itself is a load to the input ( the battery )

In this simplified illustration, you can see that even withpout an output load, the input supply ( your Lipo ) is presented with a resistance formed by the input circuitry, and the chip itself. This small quiescent current will eventually drain ANY battery if left in circuit long enough.

/sites/3/images/member_albums/25339/reg.jpg

Yes...another great analogy Eric

....however, old grumpy - will argue that this is simpler to grasp for him as it is an old fashioned analogue device ( transformer ) and this new fangled digital doo dah should be exempt from residual or quiescent current flow

Anyway .....I have allowed myself to get pulled off topic once again by Myron, so I am out of this one now .

Thanks Eric   Have been told by my guru no 2 at BRC that i've "killed "my Rx lipo SO will try Timbos suggestion of putting it across a 12V "proper" battery for 2 seconds Presumably positive to positive ?.What fuse (if anyone remembers them) should I put in line & what type of fire extinguisher should I get 'er indoors to hold outdoors? Any suggestions printable will be considered! & If you don't get anymore messages - you'll know why ! Did I hear someone say "Thank God for that"  ?

Sorry again Bernad

Good news is for a change=got the all clear at the hospital this afternoon