Vintage models

Vintage planes, remember?  I bought a Seagull pioneer which is a full size model plane (i.e. 61" wingspan) which rolled over and died, so I fitted the motor to a junior 60 which was very tail heavy so I added a wooden extension till it was balanced.  The motor is much too powerful for the plane but if I fit a smaller motor the plane will be tail heavy again.  So on takeoff it rolls along for about 5 yards then shoots up at about an 80 degree angle at which point I set the speed to tickover and it floats around for 10 minutes before running out of puff.  Someday I'll bite the bullet and fit a smaller motor and the necessary ballast in the nose to make it less ridiculous to look at.  But I hate to add weight to any plane and it's already like a concord with orange boxes for the nose.

• 10 months later...
It is essential to get the balance point correct on any model aircraft.

The Junior 60 was my first successful radio controlled model, ultimately it was rather like George Washington's axe having had two fusleages and three tailplanes before I sold it to my cousin. In it's first manifestation I had omitted to make the tail plane out of lightweight balsa with the result that it needed 1.5 pounds, yes pounds, (680 grammes)of lead in the nose to balance it!  

It still flew well with an ex car racing Irvine 21 in the nose and may even have handled windy weather better than a lighter model!

• 11 months later...
   SORRY !didn't answer any one, my PC went POP, Any way as it has been some time since i asked for advice ,,I have finished my Record Breaker .powered by a .61 MERCO ,I know she would fly with a smaller engine but  i kike it and it fits the vintage image.i've put some pics on here for you all ,see what you think ? I'M sorry but i can't get the pics up on this thread but please go to my album . i have put 3 pics on there tonight ,regards TD or Bernard !  PS the thumb nail at the side here is my R/B.

Edited By taildragger on 01/11/2010 18:05:27

Edited By taildragger on 01/11/2010 18:08:56

Hi Stephan, The Mercko runs fine ,I got it at a club swop meet for £20 it's been rebuilt  i put a 15in wooden prop on she looks a treat ,I flew her once but had a none responsive elevator so had to plop her down in a field at the side of our patch no damage though ,so i put some stronger snakes in and an-cord them down all the way down the fuse haven't had a chance to fly due to bad weather .once again sorry for disappearing on every one .   TD (bernard)

Edited By taildragger on 03/11/2010 13:39:36

Got another project on the go that might be of interest ,I had an old chipmonk kicking around in the hanger the  fuse was'nt up to much so came acrass a fuse at our swop meet with 2 open cockpits very close to beeing a miles magester don't know if is or not , any way the chipie mane plane fits so doing that as a winter job.

Edited By taildragger on 03/11/2010 14:05:50

• 4 years later...

IN answear to some of you'r questions I did finish the R/B and it was 3 channel ,also yes my name is of greek origen but I have never been to Cyprus that was my step dads country ,.probably you all think I/m a rude so and so for not answearing any one but to be truthfull I had one hell of a job finding my thread .since starting this thread I have acquired a T180 I know it's not vinage but it's soert of retro iif you know what I meabn ,I also built a ! FIRE BRAND " ,all can be seen on my album ..thanks a lot every one for responding to the thread , cheers,Bernard .surprise

• 1 year later...