Se5 Se5a information

Tony Richardson

This may have been asked before, but I was wondering if anybody on here can provide information on the RAF Se5 and Se5a ww1 scout.  As some of you know I live in Canada and I would like to finish the kit I have in the colours of Billy Bishop, I know he flew the Se5a in 85 squadron "the Flying Foxes"  and I believe in 60 squadron towards the end of 1917.  Were the aircraft powered with the same Viper engine or was 60 squadron issued the variant with the geared HS engine?

I would also like some clear pictures of the rib stitching  which so far I have not been able to find, also wheel diameter does anyone know or can direct me to the jnformation of wheel diameter on this air craft, picky question I know but the Kit is almost but not quite 1/4 scale and the included wheels look a tad large.  Squadron or individual aircraft colours, as  I have  colour deficient vision the brighter the better and Bishops "Blue Nose" fits the bill nicely, but was this scheme used by him only in 60 sqdr or also in 85 when he returned to England in April 1918 ans was assigned to that sqdr..

Lots of questions and I hope someone can help out here or push me in the appropriate direction.

Thank you all for any help you can offer..

Tony..

Advert

• 2 years later...

I know this thread is old but that is how long it takes me to build finish a model LOL.  I am now at the point of fixing decals, my question may seem trivial but I'll ask it anyway.

My Se5a is finished in the colours of Canadian pilot "Billy Bishop" ( not sure if this has any bearing on placement of decals ) I have noticed on many pictures of the Se5a that the roundels on the lower wing are placed differently on some of these aircraft, roundels on the top wing always seem to be on the very outer end of the wing while those on the lower wing - viewed from underneath - vary from being on the wingtip so speak to being placed inboard of the ailerons, is there a reason for this or just an anomaly due to the person who painted the aircraft?

Odd question I know but can anyone clarify..

Thanks Tony..

This was raised on the Aerodrome forum.  The answer suggests that the Royal Aircraft Factory where the SE5a was designed used the inboard position, however sub-contractors used the outboard position.

SE5a lower surface roundel placement

The outboard position has the centre of the roundel aligned with the interplane struts and is the full chord of the wing, so very easy to mark out.  Maybe it was simply a case of speeding up production?