"Amy" RM435 August 1993

It has been a while since I did a build thread, so thought it was about time I did another.

Please bear in mind that I get side tracked very easily and could even complete another model before this one.

My last two builds have both been of the slightly more unusual ilk!

Firstly and yet to be maidened was the "Guppy" another RM plan but from a slightly later vintage of 1996.

large.876507577_DSCF01671.JPG.58690a5904e313375bf29166ee25e8d0.JPG

Then came the utterly bonkers "Jetsai" an Hobbyking Bonsai with a 50mm EDF, Fly`s really nicely. I won`t lie it took a few false starts to get it flying nicely. More reflex, nose weight etc etc.

515985170_DSCF02131.thumb.JPG.63278b5ab3b37c9c6c9ff2fcadb05482.JPG

So I was perusing my stash of old RM magazine`s and stumbled upon "Amy"

large.855358993_DSCF02281.JPG.59342fdf34dd5633f78d7a19aca6cd5e.JPG

Edited by Kevin Fairgrieve
Double image.

Advert

As Amy was a plan feature and not a free one, I hunted high and low for a copy of the plan. Thanks to a very kind member of this forum I am now in posesion of a perfectly usable copy of the plan.

First thing to do was to scan the magazine, I like to keep a copy of the build instructions handy.

Next thing to consider, which engine?

I have two to chose from, an OS25FP or an SC25.
The original flew with the OS so I think that would be the logical choice.
large.630058313_DSCF02321.JPG.ac8e69c8f00b08bea8686598ec8d6573.JPGlarge.216222856_DSCF02361.JPG.39fcad4afa0793473c81a852d3b73bc1.JPG

Next thing to do? Copy the root and tip templates onto some ply and make a set of ribs. Sandwich method so I may be gone some time.

• Like 1

I've had a long association with "wonderful" Amy since a fellow member built one about 17 or 18  years ago and I was the only one brave (foolish?) enough to step up to maiden her.  I set what I thought was an appropriate amount of reflex and with some trepidation, set out to the flightline.  She flew hands off with not a click of trim.

I flew her a lot for the owner who was a builder rather than a flyer and, with an appropriate C of G, she will do pretty much anything asked of a conventional aerobatic model.  Watch the C of G though - a little forward of the plan position will give you a good starting point although it is now ballasted to around an inch and a quarter behind the leading edge.  At this point she spins and flicks like a top - usually on command but she will bite if provoked - watch out for an inadvertent flick from a recovery if you venture back...

During some of the earlier flights, while getting her set up, it seemed that if anyone ever remarked on how well she flew, she'd immediately do something nasty so we used to make a standing joke of telling everyone what a horrible model she was to fly, while I enjoyed myself immensely!

Amy flies very well on a 25 FP (with a 9 x 6 APC) so that's a great choice  - you might find her easier with slightly less pitch at first.  Mine is such a sweet engine.  Mine?  Well when the builder gave up model aircraft for boats, he offered me Amy for a nominal sum and I virtually snapped his hand off!

large.497408.jpg.e4680c2a412a2645b9a47b3a1d33e293.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

I've had a long association with "wonderful" Amy since a fellow member built one about 17 or 18  years ago and I was the only one brave (foolish?) enough to step up to maiden her.  I set what I thought was an appropriate amount of reflex and with some trepidation, set out to the flightline.  She flew hands off with not a click of trim.

I flew her a lot for the owner who was a builder rather than a flyer and, with an appropriate C of G, she will do pretty much anything asked of a conventional aerobatic model.  Watch the C of G though - a little forward of the plan position will give you a good starting point although it is now ballasted to around an inch and a quarter behind the leading edge.  At this point she spins and flicks like a top - usually on command but she will bite if provoked - watch out for an inadvertent flick from a recovery if you venture back...

During some of the earlier flights, while getting her set up, it seemed that if anyone ever remarked on how well she flew, she'd immediately do something nasty so we used to make a standing joke of telling everyone what a horrible model she was to fly, while I enjoyed myself immensely!

Amy flies very well on a 25 FP (with a 9 x 6 APC) so that's a great choice  - you might find her easier with slightly less pitch at first.  Mine is such a sweet engine.  Mine?  Well when the builder gave up model aircraft for boats, he offered me Amy for a nominal sum and I virtually snapped his hand off!

large.497408.jpg.e4680c2a412a2645b9a47b3a1d33e293.jpg

That looks nice.

Is it covered in "Solarfilm"? Loving the spats, I have a mind to make a pair for mine.