Tell us about your first crash .. I mean hardish landing!

Crash dummy

Advert

My first crash was with my boomerang trainer on the buddy lead. I was doing a low slow pass across the patch as I pulled up and opened the throttle the engine spluttered and went dead stick I kept pulling up and it stalled in from about 10 feet snapping the fuselage just in front of the wing. I now know to open the throttle first to gain speed before pulling up to avoid the stall. Ifit goes dead stick just land.

The model was fixed for the next flying session.

My first crash was when flying my Galaxy Gazelle trainer about 17 years ago. I had spent a lot of time putting this traditional kit together (ok it had foam wings but there was still some building to do) and was getting on very well with it - it's a nice looking aeroplane and looks a bit different for a trainer.

It was a case of receiver battery failure as the model slowly rolled into the ground. I like to think I know a bit more about batteries now days but back then it was a case of 'seal the battery in foam for the life of the model' and bang it on charge overnight the day before flying. If the model didn't fly then it got another overnight charge (whether it liked it or not) before taking to the air. 

Thanks Eric, this is great. It will be compulsory reading for Barbara later. She panics every time we even talk about going flying. Ive tried to point out that crashes will sometimes happen, but she does not see how we can brush it off and carry on as usual. I work on the theory that we should all carry 3or4 tesco bags in our flight box just in case the worst happens. One thing is certain though now. If i need to pack a wreck into those bags i will chuckle to myself knowing that my escapements did not escape! Many thanks Eric for a very humourous but serious post. John

• 3 weeks later...
At the time of writing 196 people have read this thread. Seemingly only 3 of you will admit to ever having crashed! If you are the 197th come clean, you know it makes sense! If my arithmatic is right, if 193 people each have 1 years model flying experience, thats 193 crash free years! I must point these statistics out to somebody working in a model shop next time i want to see someone in fits of laughter on the floor. I dread to think of the total number of years that have really been clocked up by you 193! You have my 100% guarantee that WHEN not if it happens to me the sorded details will be posted here within hours.

my first crash - for supposed r/c - would have been when I tried to fly an APS Rhoma (with ED Hunter 3.49 diesel and single channel gear) in the school playing fields.  We'd persuaded the Physics master Mr Simpson to run a model club.  We were ok with the c/l models, but things got dodgy after the Rhoma flew into the craft block.  I say 'into' though 'through' would be equaly fitting.

Years later there was an own design mid-winger, bit of Goodyear inluence, that  went into a terminal roll.  Nothing left worth autopsying, but the Horizon radio  with it's dodgy connectors was the prime suspect.

Several models have suffered the "oooh! where did that tree come from"  fate, including a 40 powered Typhoon, and the Hooligan a couple of times.

Twice I've taken off with the aerial down, resulting in fatal injuries to the Hooligan, but the Katana escaped with minor injuries.

Let's face it, if we don't push things a little and suffer the odd crash, how can we learn, and more importantly, how can we justify buying/building new models?

I honestly cant remember my first crash as it was too long ago, but my first "incident" was in that very dangerous time of a trainees life when he thinks he is capable of making his first solo flight ( 'cos my instructor failed to turn up at the field that lovely summer day a LONG time ago ). What the heck I thought, I can fly this thing alright now ( this thing being a "Cotswold Square 1" my first R/C model, lovingly built from plan-kit by myself over several months.)

After a lovely take off and climb out, a few circuits later feeling very pleased with myself I made the circuits even bigger, and bigger, and bigger...... until eventually I did the classic beginners error and let her fly so far away I couldnt see what the heck it was doing at all.

The man in the Industrial estate just over a mile away was very good about it really, and said his asbestos roof would soon be fixed very easily.....unlike my poor Square 1 .

It took me a few weeks to admit to my instructor what I had done, and his words remain with me for ever. 

" They all crash eventually, and if it bothers you that much take up golf "

How very true. 

The secrets out - you too can have one if you can catch it!

Seriously though - the Orme kashmir goats are actually not owned by anyone - and its said that if you can catch one its yours for the taking - although how you would get it home withoiut it wrecking your car I dont know!

/sites/3/images/member_albums/25339/goat.jpg

oops off topic...mind you Phil could always claim that billy the kid caused him to crash

This time round ,four or so crashes with the Spit and Me109 needing repairs.

One terminal crash with the Boomerang (see field tales, wing failure) write off.

My first trainer in 1973 I think. A Veron Mini Robot with Ripmax single channel (push button) rubber powered escapment  rudder control,powered by a 1.5 mills diesel.

I hand launched climbed out fine pressed the button started to turn to the right pressed the button again,nothing so I watched it flying in circles drifting with the wind until it came into contact with a building and that was the end of that .

Kelvin

my first crash was in 1995 with a highboy i had three flights and my instructor said one forth pulla loop so i did not bad he said,so idid another one 100ft loop yes 50ft height noooooooo the plane went down into many acres of full grown maize 6ft high we had looked for a lost plane there the day before for 3hours so was not a happy bunny but as we got closer i could hear my engine still running -an MDS 40 by the way, we got to within ten feet of the plane when it stopped RIP one highboy regards phil