Turnigy 30cc petrol engine

Brian Dorricott 1

You know how it is lots of Hobbyking points about to expire and you come across a possible bargain Turnigy 30cc petrol for £112 . Quick Google mixed reviews but agree if you get a good 'un they are OK . Well points used came in well under £110 and free delivery from Europe ( was expecting vat or something) arrived within 4 days from Belgium in good condition . First opening of box not overly impressed with machine finish but usable so set it up on test bed , few drops of 30:1 2 stroke and primed started first time . Idled at a fast 3000rpm until I remembered to take the choke off ( doh !) it ticked over nicely on a slightly too big prop as it was all I had (18x10) should be 17 something . Ran it but kept the revs down below 3000rpm and allowed it to stop and cool off and intend to do this until starts to free up after maybe a few tanks .

Now the big question I didn't appreciate just how wide it was being a crossflow , that big Walbro on one side with trumpet and the exhaust opposite,  I was wondering what other modellers have put it in ? It would be a big old cowl to hide that in so scale is maybe out , so what would you guys think for an airframe for it ? Could leave the square stock exhaust on as its reasonably quiet but have not revved to max yet as its fairly tight and new .

I know its cart before horse and that but it was too tempting at that price ! Also am I running it in reasonably well using short runs and cooling it down as the instructions are very Chinglish and vague . Thanks for any thoughts on it .

Advert

Brian, I would be surprised if your "stock" silencer did anything for reducing the noise once you get above 3,000 revs.  It is bound to fail a noise test if you need to do one before you fly.  A canister is the way to go.  I had a cheap one for my 30 cc petrol but that failed the noise test.  For my 35 cc DLE I used a more expensive canister, which had baffles inside, and that was just on the limit but passed.  That was at 8,500 revs full throttle.  You will end up spending almost as much on the canister and manifold as you paid for the engine by the way.