Punkair Wilco 1.8

Steve Colman

Advert

Nice vid Steve, I find that it's my cap that isn't on straight when I get a sloping horizon! 

What camera are you using as I've been thinking about getting a better one than my RunCam (non 4K) and my Sony AX53 is a bit too heavy to have on my head!

Thanks for the comment Ray.

The camera is the Apeman Trawo action camera. I paid about 65 Euros for it from Amazon a couple of years ago and it has been updated since with even better specs.

It has genuine 4k video recording, image stabilisation, and just about all the other features found on most action cams. Additionally it comes with a variety of clamps and mounts for almost every occasion.

Last summer I played around with it on a gimbal attached to a long pole flying through some trees, using my mobile as a monitor via the wi-fi connection which works very well. The raw image quality in 4K is excellent in my view and looks great on my 27" monitor.

The camera's field of view can be changed from wide, medium and narrow akin to a digital zoom. I used narrow for the video which I think is best for filming model planes (helping to avoid some of the inevitable spec in the sky) and the quality after editing and posting on youtube is sufficient for the purpose in my opinion.

For what I paid I've been genuinely happy with the camera and will be using it more over the next few months as the weather improves.

I'm sure you will find something even better specified nowadays.

Hi Ron, I agree about the audio quality being quite poor and it doesn't accept an external mic. However, it's ok if just needing some ambient background sound. For my purposes it's not that important as I usually add music to most of my videos anyway. So, the convenience of it's size, features and video quality vs it's price suits my needs adequately at the moment. If you need to narrate a video live then it may be an issue.

For me I use the GoPro 7 mounted on my cap for when I'm filming myself flying, so it's using the internal mics, and the sound quality isn't bad, for a GoPro, and certainly good enough for the sounds of motors etc. If I'm filming in windy conditions, (which I usually am as I fly slope mostly), I add a small Rode Wireless Go 2 mic, clipped to my T shirt but underneath my jacket so that it doesn't pick up too much wind noise, (which can be very annoying on playback). This is a new purchase for me which I've only used so far in testing but is looking very promising as it has 2 x transmitter to 1 x receiver, so I can have a mic & clip one to my buddy and the chat is recorded between the two of us. If I'm filming others flying then I mount the GoPro on a short selfie stick and use this when I'm chatting to the camera as I make vlog style videos. 

I always film in 4K 24FPS, unless I want some slo-mo action when I up this to 60FPS or 1080p 120FPS. The advantage of filming in 4K is that in post editing you can zoom in by a good 50% without losing sharpness and the model doesn't look like a dot in the distance. The disadvantage is the file sizes are 4 x that of 1080p. 

Some of my YouTube subscribers don't like too much wind noise, some do, others don't like music & others do, so I compromise by having both, but at balanced sound levels, so you can hear the wind and other sounds in the background. 

Thanks Steve. I suppose that this should be moved to the thread that was started a while ago specifically dedicated to helmet cams, my fault for de-railing this one! (Mods feel free to move across) and have seen your helpful comments on there.

I too have a Rode mic which I use with my iPhone but as there isn’t a mic socket on the T100 it can’t be used with that. I have been thinking about having a separate sound recorder for flying vids so with that and the T100 I could get a system that may come close to a GP for video but with better sound and a lot cheaper!