Argggghh.... Aliexpress succumbed to the Eurpoean taxman

FlyinFlynn

In a good business model, those importing will benefit from economies of scale and pass on part of those savings to the end customer, who will also benefit from UK consumer protection and easier problem resolution - these are all factored in to the retail price we pay.  One major headache with a more expensive item obtained from the far east could wipe out the savings you've made.

If importers and retailers get too greedy then this breaks down and makes self importation, payment of duties etc.worthwhile so there is a balance to be struck. As an example that comes to mind, I objected to service such as a £5 postage charge for a jiffy bag (this was several years ago)...subsequently found to have been posted 3 days after ordering and (unexpectedly) second class - actual cost to the supplier was probably in the order of £2.  This was a shop which took over from a well known supplier with a track record of next day order delivery at the same cost - I've never troubled their website since...

Advert

If importers and retailers get too greedy then this breaks down and makes self importation, payment of duties etc.worthwhile so there is a balance to be struck.

The obvious problem for the past few years was the massive advantage granted to foreign retailers by mechanism of tax avoidance, and the fact that RM were effectively financing the delivery of foreign sold items by using UK postage costs to subsidise that effort... it already had broken down on that front for any UK retailer.

3 hours ago, FlyinFlynn said:

Your choice, just as my buying habits are my choice and I don't appreciate you and Don mocking me for making it.

1 if I have upset you, I apologize, not my intention.

2 I was not mocking you.

3 As an observation you put your views over strongly. I put my views over strongly. We differ in aspects of our word view. I am of the opinion that anyone who expresses strong views, have to take some stick occasionally.