GiantCod r/c supplies

richard cohen

I have had two minor problems, which I was able to fix. Given the low cost, I was quite prepared to bin the products if unrepairable, by me.

GC have a faulty goods process, which I have not used, but is available.

There staff, Marilyn I think, is helpful. The complaint tracking process is efficient as is the system for informing customers regarding products into their business. 

I personally have some issues with goods purchased from a shop based retail outlet, where their was no automatic it is faulty at the time of purchase. therefore i will replace or refund.

On a separate issue their performance and systems have evolved as the business has grown. Their site has the supporting documentation and instruction manuals for the products sold, plus customer expeirences etc.

The fact I keep going back says it all.

Erfolg

Advert

Another vote for GC from me.....I have used them for a few things...ESCs & Rxs mainly & had no problems. Indeed I had to return a synthesised Rx that wouldn't "see" my Tx & GC told me to return it to a guy they use in the West Midlands who would check it out for me/them. Turned out the Rx was fine & it was simply incompatable with my Tx. GC still  gave me a refund!!!

I discussed the problem with him & this is what he wrote….Yes, this is an odd one. It's unlikely either of your TX's is that far off, however a frequency meter will show that they are either on or off tune. Take say for instance 35.000 channel 60 as a reference......the frequency counter should read MINUS 1.4khz or VERY near...this is the average reading where the transmitter signal is electronically "wobbled" by a maximum of +/- 1.5khz (3khz total) to create the Frequency Modulated/FM shift which contains all of our servo positioning data.  

The counter will usually "see/read" around half of the total shift  below the xtals frequency on a Futaba. Sanwa and other brands read differently due to the way the shift is done and "placed" on the 35mhz carrier. Futaba most times read just under the full half shift at 1.4khz, this is correct.  

The FF9 would be in the " I don't work with Corona" list if it was a newer and synthesised RF version. Safe to say it's excluded from the frame. Pity you're not on the doorstep, I could investigate further.

I would go down the "try another Corona" route before giving up as there is a chance this particular example could have a really tight/narrow discriminator window, with tolerance of tiny parts, it's just possible. A year or so back we had receivers with lids, and an adjustable 455khz discriminator coil.......long since gone now as everything is surface mounted, solid state and generally none repairable. The discriminator in these is in fact a ceramic resonator, very accurate and close tolerance.....maybe a bit too tight in this case. Early versions last year had problems working in low temperature, following lots of emails to China they recognised my findings and did remedial work to the Corona range. I hope that this has at least shed a bit of light on the mystery.

I'll try this RX with a borrowed Futabawanna TX. In the mean time I'm sure Robert Carpenter will be happy to replace this suspect unit. 

Footnote: If I were still manufacturing RC I would want a receiver with>>

DSP decoder,

software providing failsafe,

double tuned front end,

multiple stages of filtering at 10.7mhz 1st conversion,

the same at 455khz 2nd conversion,

applied Automatic Gain Control (AGC),

and a synthesised local oscillator, 

sadly I'd need larger models!!!..........then Corona come along and have it all!!! In my opinion, Corona are the best receivers I've ever encountered.

You can buy them from Micron too & theres a guy who knows his (electronic) onions!!! I just wish the aerial wire was a bit more substantial though

I certainly recommend them to anyone who cares to listen!!!!.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had loads of stuff from Giant Cod, two synth Rxs, micros, minis, lipos, motors, escs, props, adapters, chargers - all good. A lot of it looks identical to the badge-branded expensive stuff - I'd say its the self same kit.  Rob is very honest, to a degree rarely seen in retail - he actively encourages customer reviews positive or negative, and his forum is superb - how many other importers can say they have the Chinese manufacturers as contributing members of the forum, acting on customer feedback?  The only downside is stock - of which Rob is well aware and is working to improve.

Thoroughly recommended.

Phil_G

Edit: I just remembered another story - I once chose a charger from the GC website, then ordered the wrong one the following night. As it was my mistake I had to put up with the lower-spec charger, or so I thought. On my next order, weeks later, mentioned this to Rob, swap arranged for the price difference and now I have my charger of choice. I dont know any other retailer who would do that.