E10 petrol

Martin  McIntosh

Advert

Topped up with E10 in the wife's 2015 Fiesta and TBH I couldn't notice any difference in the running or economy. Although my 2018 Bonneville says it's OK on E10, I've been using Super Unleaded just in case - no noticeable difference on the 'Super' fuel either. My personal view is that the Ethanol publicity is just another tick-box for governments, it's an easy 'fix' and looks good. Whether the actual amount of CO2 will be reduced when taking into consideration the CO2 generated during theEthanol production process, is another matter and from what I've read some experts say it will and some say it won't.

It appears that Auto Ethanol is fermented from various crops so a large biproduct will be CO2 as anyone who has made their own wine or beer will have seen. Is it actually worthwhile?

How about reducing the amount of petrol used in the first place by lowering the speed limit to say 60mph on motorways and actually enforcing it?  Also, 60 limits to 50, 40 to 30. Look at your own car's mpg figures at 60 and 70 on the motorway -a big difference that is real and achievable and would make a difference. I wouldn't have a problem with such a change, I sure others will differ.

Err... if E10 is less efficient than proper super-duper, then surely more fuel will be used for the same journey at the same speed etc, so zero difference in overall emissions?

I do notice a slight improvement in consumption using the more expensive stuff.  Perhaps not quite enough to justify the price difference over a year's driving but mine is an older car (2005 Honda CRV), and whatever the claims about compatibility with E10, my view is that the marginal increase in price per litre is negligible compared to the repair cost (or reduction in overall longevity of the vehicle) if the stuff proved over time to be detrimental to some small but expensive component in the fuel system.

For my three year-old mower, having just paid a fortune for a new carb (the modern carbs cannot be cleaned or repaired) and then waited five weeks (during peak growing season!) for it to be delivered to the repair shop, its now only fresh cans of the expensive stuff plus fuel-conditioner, then drain and use Aspen for the last tank of the season.

The old mower of course would run on last year's chip fat!

Surely the point of using ethanol is that it is a 'grown' resource whereas the supply of oil is finite. Burning ethanol does not add to the atmospheric carbon load whereas burning oil does. The relative performance of the fuel is a secondary issue. It is after all technically possible to use 100% ethanol.

Now whether the world as an ecosystem can sustain the 'growing' of sufficient ethanol, or any other fuel come to that, to provide the power requirements we are accustomed to from oil & coal is open to question.

• Like 1

Sorry, buttonitise...

A grown fuel, whilst people are starving in this world of ours, and thiers...with biblical famine always just around the corner...just so we can excersice our legs and feet using the car pedals....why not utilise that big yellow balloon that graces our sky from time to time ?

Sahara desert, ideal area....but no joined up thinking...

2 minutes ago, Nigel R said:

A grown fuel is one way of using the sun.

Absolutely, fuel for cars or food for people...take that to its logical conclusion...perhaps sea weed for fuel, maybe for food also...huge floating fields with solar powered desalination plants on board, why use the desert...no brainer really.

Starving people don't usually have cars.

We all need food.

Anyways it is what it is and nothing will change probably.

Haves and have-nots.