Connecting Spektrum NX8 to PC Simulator

Neil67

I am trying to start flying a FPV drone and want to use a drone simulator to practice.  There are loads of simulators but connecting a Spektrum radio doesn't seem to be covered as an option, with may suggesting some sort of game controller.  However, I see a Spektrum WS 2000 wireless simulator dongle for sale which purports to allow you to connect to some of the main simulators. 

Has anybody used one of these to run a simulator - would be useful to know if it works before spending £34.  I also note that HobbyKing sell a similar dongle orange DSMX/DSM2 USB dongle.  Again - anybody used one of these.

Lastly any recommendations for a FPV drone Simulator.

Thanks

Neil

This video shows how to connect it to a PC via the USB port to the Realflight sim. I haven't tried it with mine yet as I already had a sim setup with an FrSky Tx and dongle, using the free Picasim simulator. I don't know if the NX8 will work with that sim, but I'll give it a try in the next day or so and report back.

Picasim includes a quadcopter, it's not a bad simulator for free.

Neil, I've had a very quick play this morning, and can report that, with the USB setting as shown in the video I attached above, the NX8 communicates with a PC using the cable that Spektrum provide. I tried running Picasim, and the joystick inputs need remapping, ie the sticks don't operate the functions they should. I spent a lot of time sorting that out with my FrSky setup, so I think any dongle would be the same.

In a nutshell though, you don't need to buy a dongle, the NX8 talks directly to the PC. I haven't watched the part of the instructional video that covers the Realflight simulator, perhaps that covers function mapping.

I'll report any progress I make with Picasim. Someone else may be able to advise on fpv sims.

Thanks for the replies guys - much appreciated.  I had wrongly assumed that the USB port was for charging only - duh! 

I did try a test purchase of the Orange Dongle from Hobby King (EU) to check delivery cost (a fellow club member recently paid an enormous delivery cost for a Bixler) but despite entering my location everyway I could imagine all I got was a message saying they couldn't delver to my address (Central Scotland).  They have delivered to my address previously.  Weird.  Anyway will try USB method.

Neil

• 1 year later...