Help required setting a Perry carb with mixture control

Handyman

Hi all. I have 3 HB 61 engines from the 1980s and they all have the Black Perry carburettor except for one that I fitted a newer twin needle carb to.  I desperately need some advice or literature on setting up these carburettors.

Any help would be appreciated.

Anthony.

Advert

The main needle is the obvious one which protrudes from the "big wheel" .

The big wheel adjusts the low revs mixture.  This turns the same way as the main needle, ie: clockwise makes it leaner, and anticlockwise makes it richer. 

The big wheel is usually very sensitive to adjustment so be careful when doing the final tweaks. 

If the engines have been run on fuel with castor oil (yuk) there is a good chance that the fuel-metering slot will be blocked.  It is thinner than a human hair so it is easily blocked. To get to it, the big wheel needs to be removed. 

Have fun. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks to everyone that answered my request for information and suggestions about the Perry carbs that I have on 2 of my engines.  I will read up on the instructions provided by Nigel R but I am thinking of changing the carbs for a more modern version as suggested by Brian Cooper. I have found that these HB engines are a delight to use when set up properly, and I have several aircraft that are destined to have these engines fitted. My club is mainly electric, but I have "Grandfather" rights and am allowed to still use my i/c engines as long as they are sympathetically silenced. Anthony

• Like 1