Have you ever... written off an unflown model?

Matt Carlton

Advert

This is a Roger Pullen 'Medicine Man', the first one I built was thrown away before it flew after my wife knocked the wing centre section (and a Flair Sunrise plan) in to an uncovered central heating expansion tank in the loft, she was retrieving Xmas decorations.

There are no water tanks in the loft now and the Xmas decorations don't live up there either.

I tried to break the wing over my knee to get it into the bin but it wouldn't break, the double spruce spar with webs and ply skin doublers are immensely strong, designed for a two-man pulley tow.

This second build has remained uncovered for years, I ought to finish it.

PA317189.thumb.JPG.b8ae8adbc0cf35a76e83b3170cbb4822.JPG

I have a Chieftain, bought direct from Roger Pullen, the fourth one he built (No 4 on the rudder). Used to winch launch it regularly in 100S competitions, good on a breezy slope as well.

It's retired now due to too much wear and tear, I would build another but I've got quite fond of having aileron control!

Because of the high wing, deep fuselage and large hook it used to pitch up alarmingly on launch (bungee or winch) but it always climbed normally after that.

On one flight a not very well secured lump of nose weight moved aft to the centre section, the flight became very interesting from then on!

I think the plans for both of these are available but you would need a mortgage for the balsa and covering film.

1407160785_IMG_2893-Copy.thumb.JPG.0615db18b5f7f8e4f1f4bc7313c0de28.JPG

Yeah it surprised me when I came to price up some plan builds, just how expensive wood has become. 

That's a shame, because there's nothing quite like a big woody glider. I remember the silent flight nats somewhere around the early 1990s when open/F3j and 100s weren't dominated by composite models.

Looking up at a gaggle of open structure wings against a clear blue sky on a beautiful day (RAF Cranwell possibly? 

That'll stick with me for a very long time. 

My Mum did knock my Dad's nearly finished PSS Hawk off the top of the wardrobe once, severely damaging the fuselage. It was repaired and flew successfully(ish - Clark Y was not the greatest choice of section by the designer!) at a later date, but remains a well loved family anecdote/feud starting point that comes out most Christmases... ?

Blimey, I just watched that video back again - I can't believe how old it is now, we were still flying on 35MHz and my cameras seemingly only had about 15 pixels... ?

Edited by MattyB