A bit off topic... glow powered container ships

Nigel R

The entropy is the inefficiency of the system, from memory the last term in all the expressions, or data (more often than not) provide in all those heat engine questions/exams.

I just vividly remember at this great age, that the universe is moving to disorder, Entropy. 

I do remember a discussion with our lecturer, why are we learning about all of these closed loop cycles or open loop as if a closed loop, when the results indicate that the real world results are different. The answer was so you know where your losses are, when Adiabatic, iso thermal process, are not achieved. Then you have to decide is it possible to improve the issue.

We did note (or was I told) that the liquid moving into a gas, did not do so at the same total heat (adiabatic, again from memory, if correct), plus other losses in some other parts of the cycle. 

Like you I am not into a great technical debate or calculations, partly because  I never did like thermodynamics to much. More pertinently, can I be bothered, and the brain is not up to it, not now.

My farther probably more intelligent than myself, pointed out that the great improvement of the most efficient fridges, was mostly down to improved insulation of the cold compartment, rather than any great improvement in the compressor and heat exchanger.

• Like 1

Advert

56 minutes ago, kevin b said:

I would like to quote somebody much more intelligent than I am regarding all this "science".

"There is no such thing as a free lunch".

But sometimes, with a bit of skill, you can get a good lunch for next to nothing.

Once upon a time Erfolg was a very young boy, honest. His dad drove a Morris 10 series M. The idea of a Diesel car was not common, so it needed Petrol, or perhaps petrol was not quite so standardised as it appears today. Erfolgs parents worked very hard, for low wages, so the car was the recipient of the cheapest stuff around.

The garages that the car pulled into, invariably had three brands, Power, National Benzole and Cleveland Discol. Much to the young boys disappointment, the car got Power, where the callow yoth liked the look of the helmeted logo of mercury of National Benzole.

The boy pleaded why not National Benzol. This was dismissed on the ground that iy was not proper petrol having Benzine, that causes cancer. What about Cleveland. That is not proper petrol, it has Methanol?, it rots the engine. Of course I knew petrol was petrol, and what was this methanol? Was it true of Cleveland Discol, it might have been true, perhaps the link provided a hint. Was this E10 fuel?

How I longed for dad to go to an Esso station, they had Esso Standard, Esso Extra and Esso Golden. Ahh imagine how fast the 10 would go with Golden. I remember the humiliation of the 10 hurtling along the Autobahn, flat out, doing a heady 50-55mph, as Kafers (Beetles in the UK) hurtled past, at 70-80 mph. Could Cleveland Discol, changed everything, or perhaps National Benzole. Allthogh the Morris struggled on German fuel (Aral I think), requiring a mechanic to do something to the SU or was it the fuel pump. Were the Germans still dependant on Coal derived fuel? Was this essentially Methanol?

It seems the more things change, the more they remain the same, so it seems,

Edited by Erfolg