2S lipo for reciever battery

Advert

1s LiPo will be too low, and 2s "neat" is not advisable IMO. THe simple answer is a 2s and cheap standalone regulator of which there many around ( the ones I use cost about a fiver, and even include a low voltage warning alarm that sounds if the battery drops to around 6V which is just the right time to re-charge anyway ).

Alternatively, but probably no good for your particular case 'cos of the weight is 2 x LiFE cells ( A123s ) - these come out at 3.3V nominal..... and soon drop off to around 3V which is fine for most servos and receivers.

They are heavier than Lipo although there are some lower capacity smaller lighter ones available too which should be OK for radio gear. These weigh only around half the "normal" M1s

• 1 month later...

7805 regulators have a specified dropout of 2.2V, so that as soon as the battery voltage drops below 7.2V the output will fall below 5V. Follow Timbo's link for one of the right answers.Also low drop out linear regs are available.

I have been looking at this earlier today and have just ordered a 2 cell A123's pack. Ready to go complete with balance connector.  The servos I  intend to use it with are specced for 4x alkaline cells or 5x NiMH so I intend to run without a regulator (KISS principal) The receiver is a Spektrum so it will also be more than happy with the voltage.

Sorry to barge in but this thread has some slightly strange replies and I feel compelled to respond...

First of all a 2S lipo fresh off the charger will hold 8.4 volts which, regardless of how quickly it might begin to drop, is far too high and will most likely do some damage.  People confuse damage with failure - overvolting can easily cause damage but may not cause immediate failure. I'm surprised that the 'nameless purveyor' should give this advice.

Re 'thinking lipo single cell, it has just enough juice but not enough capacity', a switching regulator will give you more capacity from a 2S pack but also adds to the expense, weight, and its another box to bury in the tiny Fox fus.   A linear reg (ie 7805) wont give you any capacity increase from 2S. If the single cell voltage is ok but capacity is a problem, then surely the second cell would be put to better use in parallel with the first,  or just make it easy and use a single cell of suitable capacity...  many Fox users (inc me) are running a Corona synth rx and 3.6g servos off a single cell with complete reliability, although obviously not all sets are happy at this voltage.

Re A123's, (we are still talking about an 80 gramme AUW glider aren't we?) their CV float is 3.65v so fresh off the charger a pair will read 7.3v which IMHO is also too high, yes they will drop to 6.6 which is better but still high and by then damage may have occurred. Again, 'damage' isnt always 'immediate failure', just because it works doesnt mean that no damage is being done.

Amongst other things I teach BTEC electronics, and one of the course topics is 'reliability'. Running vdd within spec is a necessity for a reliable system.

I hope this comes over as helpful I dont want to knock anyone or 'stir it up', although I do think the proprietors advice was at best 'suspect'. Maybe he meant to say 1S but said 2S.

Cheers

Phil

My original post was a comment on the unsuitability of 7805s in this application. My comment on A123's was not strictly relevant as they are much too heavy for this application, just echoing Timbo to sum extent and giving an example of running within spec, which the servos's and receiver I am using ( not necessarily any others) will be, even with the initial charged voltage of A123's. This would not be true for a 2S LiPo, with significantly higher voltage.  Apologies if my mentioning A123's caused any confusion.

Phil, it's a dangerous thing claiming any qualifications, look at the response to the recent Ohms law question! Having said that I would not disagree with anything you have said so far!

For what it's worth I have a degree in Electronics and about thirty years as a practising designer.

Matt Jones wrote (see)
Timbo wrote "Personally I wouldnt use anything lower than 3A."That's fine, and personal. I'm happy to use that for a 2 mini servo glider.

This post is unclear Matt - but I presume you mean you are happy to use that one you linked to ?>

If so, then I still stand by the suggestion that 500m/a capacity is too low for most applications - and the fact that you are using mini servos actually worsens the situation, as most minis take MORE current than regular sized servos not less

Chris Marshall wrote (see)

My original post was a comment on the unsuitability of 7805s in this application. My comment on A123's was not strictly relevant as they are much too heavy for this application, just echoing Timbo to sum extent and giving an example of running within spec, which the servos's and receiver I am using ( not necessarily any others) will be, even with the initial charged voltage of A123's. This would not be true for a 2S LiPo, with significantly higher voltage.  Apologies if my mentioning A123's caused any confusion.

Phil, it's a dangerous thing claiming any qualifications, look at the response to the recent Ohms law question! Having said that I would not disagree with anything you have said so far!

For what it's worth I have a degree in Electronics and about thirty years as a practising designer.

In trying to keep to the OPQ - the simplest way to achieve a "lightweight solution" is with a 2s LiPo and proper regulator ( preferably switching type not a wasteful linear "heat radiator" like the 7805 ).

The other various posts about LiPo and A123s etc are all valid and pretty much correct. Although 2s A123 may well be OK unregulated on some servos, it is, as stated by Phil a tad high, and besides.... is certainly NOT a "lightweight solution". As also stated earlier...surely if that particular model normally requires a little noseweight, why not just stick to using LSD NiMh cells in 4s?