Multiplex easy star

Phil 9

Advert

I learnt to fly with the e star after being recommended one by a senior member of our club, best investment i ever made, it brought me on like you wouldn't believe.

Recommend any one who is thinking of the hobby to start with one of these.

Hope you all have a great Xmas and manage some flying

Hiya guys - I forgot to mention a mod I made or the EZ*. Its a f/glass 'slipper' that fits over th nose area as far back as the front of the servo recess. It stops any major damage to the foam in the event of a 'nose-in' crash. Easily made as well. Place a plastic bag over the nose area and smooth out. Then add 2 layers of matting (or more) and stipple the resin in. After it sets you can remove, paint it, then fix it to the fuse using one large bolt in the bottom of the fuse. And there's very little weight. Hope that helps.....

sounds a good idea Tam. I broke the nose off mine after i lost it in fog. I re enforced the front with cocktail stick when i glued the nose back on and added duct tape. its now stronger than new and did survive a nose in crash. but tams f/glass nose will make the easy star last for ages

• 2 weeks later...

Well Father Christmas has done his job and I am now the proud owner of an EasyStar. As luck would have it I went down with the dreaded man flu two days later so could not get much done.

I have have decided to do the rudder mod right away, and also fitting a 930kv outrunner with a simple mod using some 28mm copper tube. I have quite a few 3 cell lips so it makes sence to use them. I will also be able to interchange most of the electrics with the Helis. It will have a 30amp ESC. I will be using my 2.4G Spectrum kit  (AR6200RX).

Richie - I do have one question I would like some help with please. I have some Tower Pro SG90 micro servos I use on the Helis which are smaller than the servo recesses on the side of the Easystar . What servos would you recommend to fit the recess? I have read that Hitec S82 are good. Many thanks

Phil - Thanks for that. I 'm used to servos being very solid and tight with no give in Helis.  I have just bought two Hitec HS 82 MGs. They are almost a perfect drop in with a little help from the modeling knife. I now have everything to complete the build just can't seem to make the time to have a good run at it. Hopefully  the weekend will see it almost done. It seems quite easy on Phoenix but I know I will spend a long time testing it all - better safe that sorry.  I have already made a mod to brushless outrunner which comes in at 95g  I could take a bit more off that. I will probebly do the rudder mod as well. I'll update this thread when its all done and hopefully flying.  Richard

• 1 month later...
Phil - I said that I would update when I had the time well here goes....... The Easy Star build was as it  says in the name - quite easy.   I went straight for an upgrade to a brushless motor and also did the rudder mod to increase the surface area. I did take a lot of care on the set up and CoG everything was spot on .........or so I thought. I went for a few set up test flights in the local park. However good you think you are its always the obvious that catches you out. I did all the pre flight checks on the survos Following a few minor trim adjustments I went for a longer straight flight and it did fly straight with a slight climb with no input from the control other than throttle. I thought I would take it slightly higher so a little imput on the elevator......it nose dived straight into the ground and snaped into two peices at the rear of cockpit bulkhead. I had not realised that the servo was reversed. What an error, but hey ten minutes later and it was as good as new and stronger than ever.

Following day to the flying field which is more that big enough space. Very impressed with the flight.. the pilot was not that good. Took it round in a circle which took a bit longer than it should have done. It clipped the top of a tree where it spent the next 24 hrs. Back in its hanger now undamaged (lost the 2200 lipo though - voltage to low).

Plenty of lessons here but I have to say its one on the best feeling ever. The weather has been against me recently so have being flying the heli in the garden. But looking forward to some much needed practice.  Richard

Been flying mine a few weeks now, I take it along with my Raptor heli, the Easy* being a nice relaxing change after the rappie!

Got mine second hand along with the boomer & superchipmunk you can see in my profile hopefully, I think it has the stock brushed motor, but it does have a heavy 1700mah Nimh in with it, giving me 15 - 20 mins flying time, which is great !

I don't see the point of upgrading it though, if you good enough to keep flying and landing successfully, you should be moving on to a model with ailerons !

Your right about the ailerons - but sticking a cheap brushless outrunner on my Easystar was a fabulous upgrade. The stock brushed motor didn't last long, and I think I now have about 120 watts of power, which pushes it along at a nice lick and makes climbing, inside/outside looping and bunts a doddle. Call BRC and they will sort you out with a motor + 12A ESC combo that will come in at under £20 - now £ for £ that is truely unbeatable as upgrades go. Don't forget you'll need a new prop too.
I cut a ply disc and simply CA'd that onto the motor pod, having removed the supplied can motor. I then passed the wires over the top of fuz and stuck the ESC outside - on top of the model to ensure it stays cool - with a bit of double sided tape. I also made a small channel for airflow ove rthe lipo by nicking a bit out of the canopy at the front and back. With a 2 amp 3S lipo I easily get an hours flying - or around 40 minutes at full chat