Tony Nijhuis B-17 Build

Marcus

This is the build blog for my new project, the Tony Nijhuis B-17. I have a documentary on the B-17 at home, and it has always been a favourite aircraft of mine. Then, while trawling the interwebs, I found Mr Nijhuis' website, and saw the kit. It became one of those models I really wanted, along with the Top Flite Beech Bonanza. Anyway, I was at Cosford this year and saw the SLEC tent. I walked in, and saw the models hanging from the roof. I asked Mr Nijhuis which flew best and he said the B-17. So I then walked out of the tent with a full CNC kit and mouldings and a really big grin.

Right, anyone who hasn't just fallen asleep. Let's look at the build. Ooh look, lots of lovely ready cut parts!

With the build article printed out of RCM&E, I read through the plans, and decided to start with the fuselage. I cut out the ribs and spine pieces with a keyhole saw, and sanded them smooth.
Useful point 1: Ths plastic bag the sheet wood is in make a great plan cover.

So with the plan taped out, my Dad and I pinned the spine pieces out and laid the ribs on top of them. They fit together well but be careful as a couple of formers are very similar sizes, and they only fit one way up! Once the formers are glued into place we added the balsa spars. They don't run the full length of the fusealge so two had to be joined together. My Dad sawed notches into the inside of the spars to bend them around the nice curvy nose.

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa299/Marcasia/PB230294.jpg

I'm already trying to think of a colour scheme and noseart. Any suggestions? I'm thinking possibly silver or dark green with a silver underside.

In regards to motors and batteries, I'm going to build as musch as possible before weighing the airframe. Servos are going to be TowerPro MG16R 18 gram 2.7 kilos torque jobbies. Radio? Possibly a Spektrum, set definitely 2.4 gigs.

Advert

Looks like a good build Marcus. Regarding motors, Tony used 4x tower Pro 2409/12Ts in the similar sized Sunderland recently. My Dad also has one in his 54" Storch which seems to run well on a 25 amp ESC. plenty of power.

there are some famous B17s, probably the most well known being 'Memphis Belle' (you've probably seen the film). Most of the Europe B17s were olive on top and light grey underside while the pacific ones were all silver. If you has the PC flight simulator 'Pacific fighters' you can view the B17 (and lots of other aircraft) in 3 dimensions. The attention to detail is excellent.

Hello fellow modellers

I want to start on the B17 by Tony Nijhuis. Got the kit, and the plans but have mislaid or more probably lost the build articles from the RCME  Can anyone out there help please.

Maybe its on the web somewhere ? but finding it ...maybe you know better than I do..hope so

Keith

People are reading this! 

Indeed more stuff is on it's way.
Both fuselage sides are now finished, so all it is for them to be glued together!

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa299/Marcasia/PB300295.jpg

We covered the rear spine pieces in 15 minute epoxy, and clamped them together. The reason so many clamps are used is that my luvverly fuselage was bowed under the tension from the stringers.

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa299/Marcasia/PB300296.jpg

And the nose was even more bowed!!! (Lots more clamps needed, I knew buying loads was a good idea)

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa299/Marcasia/PB300297.jpg

Jonathon: Yeah, I've got all of the Il2 series so I'm off to look for some noseart. And then put it on a '17, of course!

KB:  The link is available on Tony's webpage here . Hope this helps!

Jeff: Well, until recently I couldn't find any other build blogs on the Nijhuis B-17. Then I found Mudflaps, which is very good.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Got the plans set up and start to procede with the job in hand.  then it starts to go all horribly wrong....the fuz formers no's 5 & 6 dont line up with the top and bottom spines...I'm thinking of cutting them in half ? to increase their span to overcome the problem, has anyone else had the same problem and got any other ideas.

Also what are they referring to when they mention 'mirror image ' on the plan,? it seemed straight forward to me so dont know what they mean...or have I lost the plot !!!

Hi K.B.

Not quite sure why you have aproblem with the formers, maybe someone else will help.

re -'mirror image'. the plan shows two drawings of the left side.  the drawing belw the main fuz' should face the other way, or you will have two left sides. ( hold the plan up to a light source and look through from the back. sorry if I'm making this sound complicated.

Jeff

• 1 month later...
From Marcus' Dad:

We have had to slow down as they have demanded that I go back to work after 2 months gardening leave; as I work overseas, it is difficult for us to get quality build time (and we don't want to build in 30 minute intervals!).  Still, with it being winter, there are too many occasions that the Wx is unsuited flying so we can build - but it's bloomin cold in the loft.  We have built the frame for the tail (much thanks to the Mudflap thread - enormously helpful) but stalled for a while.  Also, Marcus has built an off-road Tamiya truck since Christmas, so he's been distracted.  As we build more, we will try to keep the blog going. Interesting to see the lesons that Tony N has identifed with the Sunderland 4-engine set up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hello all.
Sorry about the lack of  updates, but I haven't made much progress, namely for the things my Dad mentioned.
This is the main reason not much prgress has been made:

Tamiya Toyota Tundra. Three speed gearbox, weighs about 4 kilograms with battery.

Anyway, back on with the build.
We have now made the fin and tailplane, so the next job is either to build the wing, or skin the fuselage.

Also, since I revieved some BRC vouchers for my birthday, I am going to order these motors which should be easily powerful enough.

• 1 month later...
Hi fred,  no problem mate. Other things took over . so my B.17 build is on hold for the time being. Check out the superb build by 'Mudflap here. It shows flaps etc. and a nice touch like a retractable tail wheel. He will be only too glad to help.  I still think your Sunderland is one of the best.  Good luck with the B.17.        Jeff

• 7 months later...
Hello all!
Apologies for my lack of updates, work has not been happening very fast and I simply haven't updated the build log.
A series of pictures then, to get up to date.

ESC/ Gear installation.

Sheeted and ready for motor installation

Motors/Props/Cowl mock up.

Before innards installation

Systems installation

Top decking, ready for cockpit details

Thanks,
Marcus

Tips?
Make sure all the wiring is in before skining the wing, and make sure that the ESC to Motor wires are secured outside of the cowls so they cannot fall back in.
Make sure you have provisions for a removable wing, as the B-17 is very large when completed so a de-mountable wing is a necessary.

Regards,
Marcus

@Jeff Glasser: I am using Eurokit Medium retracts with scale oleos from Slough Model Centre.
@Shaun Chant:
We drilled two holes in the front of the wing, and two in the frame in front of the wing and glued dowels into the wing. Then we glued a large wood block inside the fuselage to support the nylon bolts at the back of the wing.

@Sheldon Holy: What sort of bad things about the servos? We have tested them before we put them in and they seem fine. I will add the gun turrets and some crew where they can be seen, but there is not much space in the fuselage with all the wiring in. It may have to be some Playmobil men chopped in half for the brave flight crew.

Thanks,
Marcus