No news from Elvington ?

kevin b

It's curious.

2 days after the event and (so far) not a single posting about the LMA weekend at Elvington (That I can find).

It wasn't that bad, was it ?

I went on Sunday and was entertained for about 4 hours (it got a bit warm).

The Norman Collier impression by the commentator was pretty good. 😁

Advert

I went on Sunday as well - 9:44 until 16:15. Impressions (not Norman Collier...):

• Some of those planes must take years to build as lots were there last time I went! 
  • Good to see the Vulcan - will miss it
  • The enormous Tabloid was hugely impressive
  • Those jets are fast! Must be a real adrenaline rush to fly inverted at those speeds and so low
  • I was less 'meh' about the IMAC planes than previously.  That nine year old sure can fly!
  • Strangely gratifying that even some of the show flights end in antipodean landings like mine!
  • Favourite plane - that big yellow biplane (can't remember what it was!)
  • Loved the big radial engine on the PT17
  • People were asking silly money in the bring and buy 
  • Also some real old tat in the 'clearance' trade tents - will people really buy that stuff? 
  • Not many bargains in the trade tents - but good to see them there. I managed to get loads of batteries for the indoor season. Also wanted a ew props but the sizes I wanted were all sold out 
  • Couldn't believe the state of the models on display outside the SLEC tent - they looked like they'd been left in a garage for decades (apart from the PT19); surely 10 minutes with a wet wipe or similar would have been a good investment. Nice to see  all that lovely balsa!
  • Last time I went, there were 2 flight lines - the main one, and a secondary one for smaller models and the 'have a go'. This year, the smaller models were missing - I wonder why?
  • Despite the bone dry conditions, and signs prohibiting them, there was still evidence of portable barbecues being used. Why take the risk for a few charred sausages?
  • Decent attendance but not uncomfortably packed
  • Great to see the BBMF Lanc - three passes right along the main runway - nIce and low, and CLOSE. Gorgeous.  

Overall, an extremely well arranged, and very enjoyable, event. Already have next years event in my calendar. Highly recommended.

• Like 2

Saturday, posse of 4 in 1 car.   I agree with much of the above and would merely add:

• burger and beer both good
  • Lanc very impressive
  • ground was a bit shaggy, needed a trim
  • pleasantly busy, rarely congested
  • too hot
  • portable bbqs, really?   Darwin?   although one of my neighbours lit a bonfire on Sunday and I made sure my hosepipe was to hand
  • is it the case that larger models become progressively less impressive, the more of them one sees; this in no way detracts from the sheer effort which must be involved in building, flying and even transporting them, merely I suspect that we are becoming slightly over-exposed to them and the jaw no longer drops as it once did?
  • sometimes it's as much the sound as the vision which grabs attention; I miss the Dutch pulse jet; there was a 4 st radial flying (Moki?) which grabbed our attention and caused some Googling on the spot
  • Wot 4 ARTFs are back in stock
  • in many respects, a scaled down version of Weston Park, just a lot closer to home.

Overall, good day out with the boys, spent little, good value.

BTC

• Like 1

Plenty (4) left at Modelshop Leeds AND the best price online too, which is a bonus.  Collecting mine tomorrow, plotting early upgrades, mainly to the u/c plate.   Better pushrod for elevator.   Might go up a size with u/c captive nuts and revert to nylon bolts.   Maybe a battery isolator device too although they’re easy to disconnect via the hatch on top.   New ESC and Axi motor sorted.

BTC