Beginner trying to choose a transmitter

DuncanM23

I think we've gone off topic as a result of me describing badly where I am in my flying journey.

I have joined a club, the BMFA and registered with the CAA. I will take my online competency this week.

I know this doesn't make me qualified to fly - I need to pass a BMFA A certificate at the least. 

I plan on buying a sensible ARTF trainer aircraft to learn on under instruction.

The 250g thing was an idea I came up with to allow me to start trying building, maybe accelerate my learning if I could fly it when not able to fly the ARTF and because it would be different to the ARTF. Have I got the wrong end of the stick there? I thought that the 250g rules were in place to allow people without a flying qualification to fly something like this: https://www.elitemodelsonline.co.uk/Aircraft/By-Manufacturers/Sonik-RC/97308-/Ranger-600-RTF-Powered-Glider-With-Flight-Stabilization . I appreciate that it would need to stay closer to me and that the wind would affect it far more than a heavier larger plane, meaning I am far more likely to crash it.

Back on-topic - there seem to be quite a lot of transmitters in the secondhand market. Is this a reasonable place to explore, are there (specific to transmitters) pitfalls to avoid, or is it better just to stick to new stuff? 

You are very magnanimous 😉

I would only buy a used transmitter from a trusted source, so you know it isn't suspected of having faults and being irresponsibly passed on.

Ref sub 250g. I haven't flown such a model since the regs came in so will have to read them myself to see what's "allowed". That apart, my opinion is if the investment is low, the conditions are calm, the model is stable and you have a safe place to fly, why not.

Additionally, I've just checked the regs.

Where you wish to fly your sub 250g model matters as the rules are different in different places.  I'm assuming it will not have a camera fitted, as that complicates things. If it's at your club site, and your club allows it, then you can fly under your club rules. The BMFA negotiated the CAA article 16 authorisation for BMFA members. It'd be better if you read it yourself to be honest.

If you want to fly at a site that isn't a designated flying field you can, however you need to make sure you comply with the applicable rules. https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP2006_EU_Drone_Rules_Factsheet_V7 4.pdf

As far as I can see, the principal difference in the context of your question is that the rules relating to the proximity of others applies, so separation distances apply. For an established flying field, the mandated separation distances to others do not apply, although all flights must be conducted safely.

10 hours ago, DuncanM23 said:

Under 250g is classed as a toy, so I can fly on my own. Above that, you have to pass a BMFA flying qualification or fly with someone who has.

As Matty notes that is not strictly correct, under 250g without a camera you don't need a CAA operator number. To fly models above 250g then you need a CAA operator ID and also a flyer ID (CAA online test) or BMFA RCC certificate (again an online multiple choice test). Many clubs, ours included, require members to hold an A certificate to fly solo, but it's not a CAA regulation and on the slope I fly at I know several fliers who don't hold an A certificate.

I know an aviation mad young lad who we gave a couple of lessons too and gave him a rudder/elevator glider, his Dad got an operator ID and he did the CAA online test and got a flyer ID and he flies it in some fields near his house, he's got his mate to hand tow it up for him and they've had some good fun. BTW he bought a Flysky radio and is pleased with it.

Edited by Frank Skilbeck

Thanks for the additional.info. It helps us.

So, the plan is to learn to fly at a club, then once a certain level of competency is reached, fly a small craft in a different location. This small craft may be self-built or ready made. Sounds sensible. Personally, I'd still recommend biying something small rather tgan build your first small plane, but it's not an impossible aim. Re those small planes you linked, I have only seen one and it was pretty fast and responsive... I don't have any small planes anymore so cab't really help.

Back to transmitters.... buying second hand has an additional level of jeopardy if bought off ebay, FaceBook etc., less so if bought off a clubmate or proper shop. I'd avoid anything from a non-mainstream set - if you can't find lots of info about it online, it's probably worth avoiding. Online research will also tell you what to look for. Also, take a look at cost for receivers etc., as that can add significant cost going forwards.

Feel frre to keep checking in and asking questions...

Just to close off this sub-250g rabbit-hole (interesting though it is), DuncanM23's club has additional rules for sub-250g models.

Oxford Model Flying Club operates from a site that's open to the public and has grazing livestock.  To help ensure that our members are safe to fly we have a rule that a BMFA 'A' Certificate is required for 'solo' flying - as do many clubs.

Clearly, this means that our unqualified members can't fly unless another certified flyer is available to accompany them.  Despite our best efforts, isn't always possible.  To permit uncertified members to fly at a time of ther choosing, we relaxed the 'A' Certificate rule slightly; for suitable sub-250g models (usually foamies or open-structure) all that’s required for 'solo' flying is an ability check from a qualified club member.  We then issue an internal club qualification.

We fully appreciate the limitations of lightweight models; however, as a supplement to 'dual' training, and a way of allowing members to fly when they wish, they've proved successful.  We've found that, in the right conditions, a good lightweight model is particularly useful for learning orientation, circuit patterns, and gaining general confidence.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, DuncanM23 said:

I think we've gone off topic as a result of me describing badly where I am in my flying journey.

I have joined a club, the BMFA and registered with the CAA. I will take my online competency this week.

I know this doesn't make me qualified to fly - I need to pass a BMFA A certificate at the least. 

I plan on buying a sensible ARTF trainer aircraft to learn on under instruction.

The 250g thing was an idea I came up with to allow me to start trying building, maybe accelerate my learning if I could fly it when not able to fly the ARTF and because it would be different to the ARTF. Have I got the wrong end of the stick there? I thought that the 250g rules were in place to allow people without a flying qualification to fly something like this: https://www.elitemodelsonline.co.uk/Aircraft/By-Manufacturers/Sonik-RC/97308-/Ranger-600-RTF-Powered-Glider-With-Flight-Stabilization . I appreciate that it would need to stay closer to me and that the wind would affect it far more than a heavier larger plane, meaning I am far more likely to crash it.

Simon's post above has cleared this up, but for reference the reason you were causing (unintended) confusion was in your use of the words "flying qualification". Your club has obviously decided to they require a A-cert to fly solo, but there is nothing in the law that actually requires that. The only legal requirement (whether flying solo or on a buddy lead) are CAA registration (if over 250g and/or carrying a camera) plus a suitable online competency test pass (be that the CAA test or the BMFA RCC).

There is no flying test, and many, many people (including myself) have never taken one as we've never needed to. The BMFA certs are just an achievement scheme, though it is true that many clubs do view the A as a minimum standard to fly solo - not that a cert that may have been passed 30 years ago really proves anything IMHO...

Edited by MattyB
  • Thanks 1