EdgeTX ,WAV sounds issue

Gary Murphy 1

I wanted some different WAV tracks. Same "phrase" but different voice. So i downloaded the WAV files 16000 hz and 16 bit etc BUT in Special funtions these new tracks do not show.

i was told its because i named them different from the originals inthe sound folder and EN . So i named them exactly the same as the original files. still did not play.i could see them but not working.the thing was i put a # at the end of the original tracks thinking the change will stop these working and my new tracks will BUT even the old tracks renamed with the # was seen in SF and played!!!!! i am new to the EDGETX and radio master and its driving me nuts. seen some YT vids and its shown done like i have.

Ihave seen vids of guys playing home made tracks and music worked by a switch,what am i doing wrong? thanks?

The "track" i have mede like above was named incorrectly at first. I renamed it to " fm-1" or " fm-nrm" both will not play.

The only thing i can think it is ,,, I use a TTS site, that records in MP3 ,i then convert to WAV .i then have to use Audacity to record.

The files play ok on the PC and all settings etc are same as the standard WAVs going by properties.

All the flight modes have it in my standard sounds file, fm-1,fm-2,fm-3 etc.

I  have given up ,last thought i had was to move the files around with the card in the radio,i normally take the card out. This made no difference.

Surely if there was a issue in the file it would not play on the PC!

i have read that guys use a TTS programme for custom phrases or words. All the ones i have found convert the text to speech to  MP3.

Surely when playing the MP3 in Audacity and saving in WAV is not the issue? its plays ok on the PC

Watching more vids about using TTS and open/Edge tx. This last vid said that the TTS sample you make MUST be below 2040hz or it will not play.

So opened the TTS mp3 sample in Audacity and it was 2400hz! Soooooo looked at play back rate options and Audacity had 2050hz,near enough?

Recorded and guess what ,no sound in radio yet again!!!!!!

If i choose 1600hz to play sample its slowed the speech down,so this part of audacity is working.

I don't have my radio with me at the moment but I have rechecked my .wav files.

Some are longer than 6 characters, but the only special character in any of them is '_'.  

Have you tried changing, for example, fm-1.wav to fm1.wav ?

And yes, I too had to change the playback speed of some files - possibly my using a random order to apply changes to the basic sojnd!

I have found out that the newer colour screen radio`s can accept 8 characters if needed. only symbol i have seen from standard is "-".

Although i put a # after a 6 character file and that was found WHILE my knew file with exact file name will either not show or show and not play!

For me its not a file thing,i am sure. i am all set to say sod it BUT its just bugging me know.spent all day yesterday on this.

trying lots of stuff from suggestions here and elsewhere with no luck. one was that not to have 2 files with same name, i had fm-1,fm-1, fm-1#.fm.1

So i removed all,called my new file fm-1 ,same has standard,file is found in track menu but wont play!

the only thing i can think is,some guy said the sample must be 2040hz or lower,the TTS i am using is 2050hz,typical 10 hz over.

i record in audacity at correct rate,again been told 16000,22000 and 36000 at mono!

surprised how little help the open/edgetx dedicated sites have been. thought this is one of the benifits of opentx,so thought it should be a easy one for techy etc.

2 other things.... in the System area, you can set the transmitter volume - you should check that. You can also set a global function to control the volume of SF sounds - that nay be set to zero. 

It would be helpful if you can confirm if any System or SF sounds work.

If you hear some sounds but not others, if MUST be a file issue...

Sorry - just reread and saw old tracks work. 

If that's the case, there has to be an issue with your new files..... as I say, I use audacity and have no issues with recorded files, or files downloaded and manipilatws.

Sorry I can't help more. You may get an answer on RGGroups as the Edge and OpenTX devs are active there and tend to respond on the existing threads.

1 hour ago, Zflyer said:

Forgive me but I note in the thread that the minus - sign and the underscore _sign are being used. I think that only one of these is correct. From memory on other wav extensions the underscore _ is the correct method.

I thought that as well but now I have checked my EdgeTX tranny, I see lots of files with '-' and a selection worked as Special Functions.......  

• 4 weeks later...