Jeti DS-12 with REX 10A Assist - binds but no communication

Christian Hollyer

System worked well in the garage when tested prior to packing in car for Sunday's flying. Once at the field and connected, no response to DS-12 control inputs. Rebound OK but no change, Once back home, retried and used a different receiver, with battery plugged in directly. Same result. I do not get the 'Armed' audio notification. Updated transmitter firmware, checked all voltages & connections with no faults. I suspect possibly a transmitter issue or, more likely, operator ignorance! Only change from testing on Saturday and the field was that the transmitter (in a case) and aircraft were left in the car. The ambient overnight was no lower than 10C. See images taken with everything switched on. 

IMG_20221009_173140.jpg

IMG_20221009_172740.jpg

The "Armed" call refers to the stabilisation in the Rx arming, but your Device Explorer screen does not correctly show the Rx. It should show the Rx type (i.e. Rex10A), instead it just shows the Rx ID which is how mine looks when the Rx is off.

It is a bit difficult to diagnose something remotely, but lets have a look at possibilities.

Did you change anything between it working in the garage and not working at the field?

You say it "rebound OK" - what response did you see that confirmed it rebound OK? If it rebound, that suggests the Tx and Rx are at least  talking to each other.

At what stage did you update the Tx firmware, and was that via Jeti Studio?

Have you updated the Rx firmware?

There should be a REX10A.bin file on the Tx that enables it to talk properly to that type of Rx. The one on my Tx is dated  18/7/2021. You can find it in the Devices folder on the Tx.

Keep going, it is probably something quite simple.

Dick

Thanks Dick. Nothing untoward occurred when disconnecting RX batteries and packing up in the garage. Everything was fine and switched off in the correct order. The fault first manifested when powering-up after assembly at the field. All the updates I did were part of post-fault troubleshooting. I cannot update the RXs right now because both the Jeti Studio and Esprit app constantly requesting reconnecting device (which I do). I suspect my laptop is the culprit here. However, I'm not certain the RXs are the problem here since the TX manifests the issue with two different identical units. Will look at REX10A.bin.

As far as I can see by quickly testing, the numbers in brackets on the first picture relate to the identity of the last receiver the transmitter bound to on this model memory.

What do you mean by binding?  Physically registering the receiver to the transmitter with the bind plug or just powering up and establishing communication?  Jeti will warn you if you try to do this with anything other than the receiver it’s expecting but will allow you to accept it after a short “thinking time” delay. 

I would try this first - switch on with this model selected but power up a different receiver.  Assuming this reacts with the unexpected receiver message, accept the change and power down. The ID referred to in the first paragraph should change if you check it without a receiver connected. 

Repeat the exercise - the transmitter should warn you again so accept the change and see if the ID has reverted to the original in the photo. You are now certain that you’re binding to the correct receiver. 

What might have changed at the field? If the model was in an unstable position and was moved during initialisation the arming may have failed.  Perhaps your rebinding/updating might have clouded the issue?

• Like 1

@martin I selected another model on my DS-12, bound the receiver and it all works ('Armed' etc, too). The red mark I referred to in the above post also went. Device explorer also shows 'REX 10A'. Went back and tried with the original model, original issue recurs. Can only conclude there is a corruption in the model configuration. Best set it up as another model and delete its first config.

1 hour ago, Christian Hollyer said:

..................... I cannot update the RXs right now because both the Jeti Studio and Esprit app constantly requesting reconnecting device (which I do). I suspect my laptop is the culprit here. ..................

I have seen that problem myself, and after experimenting a bit I think it doesn't like it if the signal wire connects first.

Tilt the plug slightly so the -ve wire definitely connects first when reconnecting and that seems to work every time for me.

Dick

13 minutes ago, Christian Hollyer said:

@martin I selected another model on my DS-12, bound the receiver and it all works ('Armed' etc, too). The red mark I referred to in the above post also went. Device explorer also shows 'REX 10A'. Went back and tried with the original model, original issue recurs. Can only conclude there is a corruption in the model configuration. Best set it up as another model and delete its first config.

That is good news, at least we know the Tx is OK.

re the red dots - might indicate 2.4 / 900 transmission issue. It would be interesting to see if there is a difference between the good and bad models on the "Advanced Properties > Wireless Modes" screen.

Dick