David Boddington Centurion (4th try)

The Centurion is now totally complete and ready for its first flight, all control throws set, radio checked and double checked,fail safe set.

Last pictures posted now while it is still in one piece!P2150002.thumb.JPG.b3f51d7068672b9b87d4dd56d3d678fe.JPG

P2150004.thumb.JPG.3c72c9668540e7674cdb25c65b0897da.JPG

I bought a weighing thing from a pond shop meant for weighing suitcases, using some strong string attached to the wing securing bolts, the model weighs just on 12 pounds as I anticipatedP2150001.thumb.JPG.23259ede32bd03aed4d0b1afca2cffdd.JPGP2150003.thumb.JPG.c6308bad39cf0521d58ddf87094f95a8.JPG

Just out of interest, I was a bit concerned about adding weight with the paint, so before I started painting I weighed the full paint can on the kitchen scales, it was exactly 300 grams, on completion it weighed 200 grams and I imagine that some of that extra 100 grams was lost in evaporation so really not a lot of weight gain.

Anyway looking forward to the first flight sometime soon

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
Advert

The Centurion still hasn't flown yet for a number of reasons, weather's been awful, but looking up now, I haven't yet rejoined the Backburn Club, I need to speak to someone there as there is zero activity at Pleasington at the moment and finally, I haven't flown anything for 12 years so a bit rusty.

Anyhow in the meantime I am still getting used to all this electricity stuff as I always flew glow motors previously, I chose the power pack (motor and esc) for this just because it was available at a swop meet and I though that it would do! But what do I know? It was cheap about 10 or 20 quid can't remember now!

So, I have had watt meter in the tool box for a while with no idea what to do with it, looked on you tube for advice, seems straightforward so I soldered on some XT90 connections and took the wingless model into the garden.

P5110048.thumb.JPG.dd176e79faced4abd65f72d991bfcf52.JPG

Securely fastened to the lawn and fired it up

P5110049.thumb.JPG.b3351bef1d9b9641eec0e86f3f789d58.JPG

Blimey! At full whack it was bending the stakes a bit!

At full throttle it pulled 70amps, the esc is rated at 90

P5110050.thumb.JPG.238d29e62b2a13fe1e5bb1de7db6144d.JPG

and 1502 watts, so I make that about 2hp in old money so I think that will do! my last one flew on a 91 four stroke on about 1/3 throttle.

I am blown away with the power of this motor, really cant wait to have a go now.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Hi Alec,

I've been chipping away at one of these since May 2021, doing smaller model builds in between to break it up. I've just come across your amazing build log - what a fantastic resource for this design!👍 Until I found this, there seemed to be little or nothing about the Centurion, yet it really appealed to me as a first time 'Large Model Build', and it's already stretched my skills in a very positive way.

I've yet to attempt the undercarriage, but your pics have already proved very useful, as have your comments on whether to include the spats or not.

I have been collecting photos along the way, and started a build log (I have several posted on the Outerzone website as supplementary files to half a dozen or so designs), but nothing as comprehensive as yours, so good on yer mate!

I'm now looking forward to seeing pics and reports of yours in flight - I'm intending to use a new-in-box OS95FV 4-stroke.

Here's a couple of pics to show you where I'm at - the covered one was taken this morning in our 'dog room' - two spaniels are obliged to 'share' their crate sleeping quarters with model storage and weight training gear! It's Winter here in New Zealand right now, so I'm now hoping to have it finished for the Summer, but then, I said that last year also....🤔.

Thanks again for posting all this  - you've really enthused me to 'get-on-with-it' and re-engage with this build.

I'll hopefully have a bit more to share in a few weeks time - I still work full time, but often fantasise about retirement and full-time modelling...don't we all?

CENTURION WITH WINGS 29DEC2022.JPG

06AUG2023 WINGS COVERED (2).JPG

• Like 2

On 05/08/2023 at 22:50, Nick Ward 1 said:

Hi Alec,

I've been chipping away at one of these since May 2021, doing smaller model builds in between to break it up. I've just come across your amazing build log - what a fantastic resource for this design!👍 Until I found this, there seemed to be little or nothing about the Centurion, yet it really appealed to me as a first time 'Large Model Build', and it's already stretched my skills in a very positive way.

I've yet to attempt the undercarriage, but your pics have already proved very useful, as have your comments on whether to include the spats or not.

I have been collecting photos along the way, and started a build log (I have several posted on the Outerzone website as supplementary files to half a dozen or so designs), but nothing as comprehensive as yours, so good on yer mate!

I'm now looking forward to seeing pics and reports of yours in flight - I'm intending to use a new-in-box OS95FV 4-stroke.

Here's a couple of pics to show you where I'm at - the covered one was taken this morning in our 'dog room' - two spaniels are obliged to 'share' their crate sleeping quarters with model storage and weight training gear! It's Winter here in New Zealand right now, so I'm now hoping to have it finished for the Summer, but then, I said that last year also....🤔.

Thanks again for posting all this  - you've really enthused me to 'get-on-with-it' and re-engage with this build.

I'll hopefully have a bit more to share in a few weeks time - I still work full time, but often fantasise about retirement and full-time modelling...don't we all?

CENTURION WITH WINGS 29DEC2022.JPG

06AUG2023 WINGS COVERED (2).JPG

Hi Nick, Looks like you are making a pretty good job of that! Still have not flown mine as the weather here in England this summer has been atrocious, constant heavy rain and high winds.... I am a fair weather flyer!

Please keep us informed of further progress, I am quite excited that someone else is building one of these, it has been a bit of an obsession of mine for over 40 years.

I have another vintage model in the pipeline, in fact almost finished, Big Wig by L S Wigdor I wonder if anyone else apart from me is interested?

Good luck with the undercarriage, it is straight forward, I used soft solder but if doing it again would use silver solder as I have been practising with it and achieved good results with a small gas blowlamp.

38 minutes ago, Alec Turnbull said:

.... I have another vintage model in the pipeline, in fact almost finished, Big Wig by L S Wigdor I wonder if anyone else apart from me is interested?...

Well I will certainly be interested in the Big Wig Alec.

Years ago I got talking to a bloke on a train. We both commuted into Birmingham for work. I was reading the Radio Modeller and he leant across the aisle and he asked me where I flew from. That was the start of a friendship which finished when he died of leukaemia in 2006. He had built two Big Wigs.

I bought the plan but never got round to building one.

9 minutes ago, Alec Turnbull said:

Wow, lots of love for DB's Centurion, build another Gary simple build!

I wud love another one Alec but unfortunately being in a bungalow and my Unowot due anytime thats being built for me at the moment 

as you will see in the photo i dont have room for Centurion this time round But i have still got the Centurion Plans here somewhere

363901521_988358662404502_7881823836082415753_n.jpg

Edited by GaryWebb

24 minutes ago, GaryWebb said:

I wud love another one Alec but unfortunately being in a bungalow and my Unowot due anytime thats being built for me at the moment 

as you will see in the photo i dont have room for Centurion this time round But i have still got the Centurion Plans here somewhere

363901521_988358662404502_7881823836082415753_n.jpg

It's a big model thats for sure, space is always at a premium, I have a double garage ( shared with houshold stuff, no cars) but I am also nearly out of space!

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to finally get the struts drilled and fitted - you were right, Alec, these have to be fitted accurately - I messed it up the first time, and so had to add an extra 'sandwich' of aluminium plate and epoxy at the fuselage end of the struts so I could re-drill the bolt hole.

112408637_16AUG2023CLOSEUPSTRUTSTRUCTUREFUSELAGEENDNBEXTRAPLATETHICKNESS.thumb.JPG.b2464dad820baec13a1c69bf0bbaff03.JPG

Here it is with struts fitted;

2124535998_16AUG2023FITTINGWINGSTODRILLOUTSTRUTBOLTHOLES.thumb.JPG.2721104ec0fa85945ff311805b8e8eed.JPG

Also managed to drill the holes for the nylon wing bolts...

2129145218_16AUG2023NYLONWINGMOUNTBOLTHOLESDRILLEDFORTAPPING.thumb.JPG.2e0210586d0c6f660b00bdbb0940f14d.JPG

...but need to buy a tap spanner to tap the holes in the hardwood blocks...

1499379538_16AUG2023UNDERSIDEOFWINGBOLTHARDWOODBLOCKSPRIORTOTAPPINGOUT.thumb.JPG.665eb3b6710b915ea72abce79b0028ba.JPG

Once I've tapped the holes for the nylon bolts, I'll start looking at the undercarriage.

• 1 month later...

The Centurion has now had its maiden flight, and lovely it is too, just like its predecessors. This one is electric the others were glow either 2 or 4 stroke. The Turnigy 470 kv motor pulls with great authority and once airbourne flies at half throttle.

Lots of the watchers warned me that it needed ailerons ( but I knew better!) even with the relatively small rudder there is ample manouverability, however I did feel it was a bit tail heavy so I have shifted the lipo forward a bit.

I was going to have another flight and get someone to take some pics but it suddenly poured with rain and that put the kybosh on that, hopefully next time.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 07/08/2023 at 11:45, Alec Turnbull said:

build another Gary simple build!

Hi Alec...... Update for you... Building another Centurion is really not posible for me however I have had a measure up for possible available space in my model storage & this little or shud I say Big Beauty is coming on Monday.. & is powered by a Zenoah 20cc petrol

IMG_0667 (1).jpg

IMG_0664.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

@Alec Turnbull..... Just had a pre test flight weigh-in measure up of the Centurion as best I can with the only set of scales we have and total weight comes in at around 6.3 kg / 13.8 lbs...........Cant grumble with that.... Shud have her in the air for her maiden / test flights very soon

IMG_0623.JPG

Edited by GaryW
  • Like 2