Shifty

Waiting for  30 amp esc getting delivered, construction is done,it's a bit tight in the bay for the radio gear etc(I use Hitec)...,then balance and off he go's....his marra in the background..

Ken Anderson....me...1 ...Shifty dept.

IMG_20240510_094554.jpg

• Like 5

Advert

today i put in Shiftys esc/rx etc......i had a bit of a set back,the esc i was waiting fir coming from a site on Amazon was a duffer(false economy) so i borrowed one from another model and hey presto it all works,be warned i had to cut a hatch in the front to fit 80g of lead to get the cog in the correct position of 85mm in front of the leading edge of the canard version...the total weight of the finished model is now 480 g...which is still not to bad.....im off for a few days and will be doing the maiden when i return and letting you know how it go's.

ken Anderson.....ne....1....Shifty dept.

• Like 1

Iv'e just checked the data file and mine weighs a whopping 550g so you have built a light weight Ken. All examples to date have had ballast weight added to the nose, there's plenty of room in that front compartment though.

Waiting in anticipation on the maiden.....

• Like 1

Are you sure there is a battery installed Ken? 🤪 

On another note SARIK hobbies are now supplying laser cut wood packs for the SHIFTY variants along with the plan and article for those that missed it.

Here is the link:

SHIFTY WOOD PACKS ETC

As I made the canopy mould from balsa it is now showing wear from the bottle shrinking, I will make another from some harder stuff which means I wont be able to get anymore done for a few weeks.

Posted (edited)

That has dropped short Thomas, not sure if its an optical illusion or not but your front cockpit former (F2U) looks like it might be sloping forwards a bit too much as its finishing half way down the canard?

I will double check the plan against mine later, I know the bottle canopy is tight but it should fit just.

I will also look at the plug and see if I can extend it a bit and see if I can get a little more length.

Sorry if I've sent you a short one.

I had several flights with mine yesterday at a local Fly-In, good fun.

Edited by Richard Harris

Posted (edited)

No biggy - I think the angle is ok but I put I did put it slightly too far forward and then I was in two minds whether to shave off the wood in front of the fin. (The canard was initially slightly too far back also but I luckily measured it again before gluing) I'll know for the next one. As I say it's really easily resolved 

🙂

Edited by Thomas W Shelley
  • Like 1

Just fyi for the future canopies I think this was slightly short when I held it up against the plan too - but if I cut the turtledeck vertically instead of sloping it backwards it would fit ok and I don't think it loses much visually. 

Anyway I'm very grateful for not having to make my own plug and I don't mind a bit of tinkering! 🙂

• Like 2

You will have it sorted before I finish work Thomas 😎

One thing worth mentioning, on both my models I had condensation appear in the canopies and the boys couldn't see where they were steering! it was more evident in the damper/colder months.

Easily sorted with a small 3mm hole drilled into the rear top of the office.

• Like 2

I tried to keep everything as light as possible at the back but I think I will also have to add some. Hopefully very little, will balance it later on. 

I have so many motors I decided to use one I already had which is slightly lower kv and slightly lighter, but I can put it on 4s if necessary. Might not be as fast but I'm happy with scale performance for the most part! 

Posted (edited)

Great job Thomas :classic_smile:,  what motor are you going to use?

Mine will fly around no problem on half power on the suggested set up.

One of the other Beta testers Rich was going to try some 'standard' props rather than use the emax drone prop. His thinking is it may be more efficient for our application.

Not to long Steve before we can formate again!

Hope you get to your patch in the next few weeks Ken.

Edited by Richard Harris
  • Like 2

I got a set of these on eBay a while ago and used them on something else. A little smaller than yours but still pack a decent punch and it means I can hopefully get away with only a few grams in the nose. Although nowhere as light as your build Ken! 

I have so many motors of a similar size but they were all lower kv and as a result the necessary prop size seemed dangerous for hand launching. I do have a slightly heavier motor (60-70g) that will pack a real punch but the increase in nose ballast will obviously be substantial and so I'll see how it flies first of all. 

PXL_20240526_121328818.MP.jpg

• Like 2