A Shrunken Outlaw

Several years ago I had many enjoyable hours flying a KK Outlaw until a close contact with the ground badly damaged the fuselage.  However the wing survived imtact.

A few weeks ago having grown tired of looking at the wing hanging up in the workshop I decided to build a new fuselage for electric power so I downloaded the plan from Outerzone and set to work.

All went well until today when I got to the stage of offering up the wing to the almost completed fuz. It immediately became apparent that all was not well and having measuered

the old, never throw anything away, and new fuselages I found that the new one is 3" shorted than the original!

The question now is, should I bin the whole lot or carry on regardless?

Build

1/ Another, slightly larger fuselage.

2/Another, slightly smaller wing.

Result, two KK Outlaws of slightly different size.

Your not alone with these problems, even the commercial producers of parts have problems.

I purchased a short kit of laser cut parts and a plan for a large vintage model from *********. It was a few years before I started work, only to find the parts and plan were two different scales. After contacting the supplier the correct parts IIRC were supplied, they'd known about this for a while and I was probably the last to turn up with the problem. Credit where due they replaced the parts with no problem.

Plans from Outerzone print out correctly if you open In Adobe Acrobat reader and print at 100 percent -with most printers.  People have reported wrong size occurs when printing from other browsers.   But check your printer options such as '100percent' or 'fit to paper' etc before printing.

Best to modify the new fuselage if you can, otherwise try it out and see!

Edited by kc

That's the setup I usually use printing plans KC and don't usually have any problems.

But, I've discovered that there are two versions of the Outlaw plan on Outerzone! 

One seems to be a copy of the original and the other is a cleaned up version.  The cleaned up copy prints out 3" short, the copy of the original plan is correct.

Back to square one I think.

It seems there are two very different Keil Kraft planes called Outlaw - both on Outerzone.  One is 1955 at 50 inch span while the other is 1970 and should span 45 inches but a note there said it only spans 40.  The note was 7 years ago.

9 hours ago, kc said:

It seems there are two very different Keil Kraft planes called Outlaw - both on Outerzone.  One is 1955 at 50 inch span while the other is 1970 and should span 45 inches but a note there said it only spans 40.  The note was 7 years ago.

The original Outlaw was designed for free flight, it was basically an updated enlarged version of the KK Bandit. It was designed before the invention of the transistor when virtually no commercial radio gear would have been practical for it's size.

The later Outlaw was a completely different design & only shares the name. It was designed for single channel rudder only or rudder & engine control using rubber powered escapements.