De Havilland Beaver

xyz70

Paul, nothing wrong with a nice flying sport scale model, the main purpose of my reply was to mention that it flew nicely with a Laser100, most of the time on about 60%to 70% throttle, it didn’t really need flaps for landing but they were nice to experiment with.

Advert

I think originally I was going use the 125 because I dont have 100, but it is down to attaining the CG without adding dead weight.

A Lazer 100 is a lovely motor! (That I do not have).

I will do a little more today, but I think I am going to work on the tailplane. I am sorry to say that I probably will be using ordinary fabric (Sig Coverall) covered elevators and rudder.

Paul,  I reckon that a sport scale model would be fine without extra detail - however Bryan has told us how it was done and maybe it would not be too difficult to do........   But a model actually flying is better than a super detailed model half finished and abandoned in the shed!

The comment " quite beefy " does not quite apply in my view - looks about right for a 2.4 m model although it all depends on wing loading when completed.

Bryan - thanks for revealing your construction.   I have not seen any reports of Plastruct & Proskin being used so perhaps you should submit an article to RCME!  

A little more work today on the tailplane. I just noticed that it is supposed to be sheeted, to match the real aircrafts metal skin. I can do that!

I have to agree with previous posters that the instructions are a little sparse.

There is a couple of photos of the laminated fin outline. I have always done it this way, with 1/16 laminations as it is much stronger than flat sheet and will not warp over time.

Total is now 20 hours.

20230215_201958.jpg

20230215_202027.jpg

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 12/02/2023 at 22:24, xyz70 said:

Both these models look incredible and I am in awe of people who can do this work. However it was never my attention to attempt these levels of scale looks.

I am afraid you will have to suffer my inadequacies as I intend to progress toward a nice flying model that most people will recognise as a Beaver.

Paul N

Hi Paul, how is the model going ? . Perhaps you could up date us.

Bas